Anybody snorkeled?? Am I crazy??

peggyy

I signed up for the Mountain Point Snorkel Adventure middle of September. Can anybody share any info about this. I doubt they will have enough people sign up but just curious to hear from anybody who has done it. Thanks.

So I guess that makes two of us crazy!! :eek:

I love snorkeling and I can't wait to try it in Alaska. We are on the NCL SUN and they do not offer an excursion off the ship. I booked independently with Deep Six. We leave in less than 3 weeks !! :D

I'll give you a report when I get back!!

Jacquelyn :D

Hubby and I did the Mountain Point Snorkelling during our cruise June 11-18, 2005. We absolutely loved it. Never snorkelled before so what a better place to start than Alaska! There were only 5 people in our group so we got lots of attention from our three guides. The water was 57 degrees, but we were toasty warm in our wet suits. We saw lots of star fish, crabs, sea cucumbers, jelly fish and many species of fish. I would definitely recommend this tour and no you are not crazy.

There is plenty to see in the cold waters of the Pacific Northwest. It is a great place for scuba diving. I like it more than Hawaii. I guess I'm the crazy one.

You might see some urchins

urchins.jpg

You might see some sea stars

rosestar.jpgcushionstar.jpgpurplestar.jpg

I took these photos myself while scuba diving in British Columbia.

Whatever you see, it will be a very memorable trip.

Hopefully the 2 months will fly by! We're counting down 4 days now!

Have a great time snorkeling. If you take pix - please post them. I used a disposable underwater camera and it did the trick.

My wife and I did the Mountain Point Snorkeling last July. It was a unique experience. And as someone else had mentioned, you'll probably be sweating because of the wet suits. When you're done snorkeling, I recommend picking up one of their Snorkel Alaska T-shirts. It's a good topic of discussion! ;) I wore that shirt while on a snorkel trip on Hawaii just two weeks after and had the whole boat talking about it, wondering what it was like to snorkel in Alaska. Of cour everyone will think you're crazy. :D

Hope you enjoy the snorkeling.

Did they have a sign held up to let you know they were there? Were they prompt or late?

A "personal" question....Did you feel comfortable in the wet suit? Did they have plenty for "larger" people? I'm already expecting to be mistaken for an "orca"!! :o

Was there equipment clean? I may still bring my own mask and snorkel!

How long were you actually in the water? Did you see lots of wildlife?

Sorry so many Q's but we leave week after next!! :eek:

Did they have a sign held up to let you know they were there? Were they prompt or late?

A "personal" question....Did you feel comfortable in the wet suit? Did they have plenty for "larger" people? I'm already expecting to be mistaken for an "orca"!! :o

They were at the dock to meet us with a sign right on time. I personally didn't see the equipment but my husband said it was fine. My husband is about 235 pounds and was able to fit into the wet suit.:)

We went through Snorkel Alaska, which works directly with the cruise lines. We actually showed up about thirty minutes before our tour departure time just to make sure, and they were already there holding a sign. They say they have wetsuits to fit up to 250 lbs. The equipment was in very good shape and we actually watched them cleaning it very well after the tour. They soak their masks in a bleach solution after every use.

They guaranteed us an hour in the water, but we were a little early so they let us have about 20 extra minutes of water time. We saw tons of stuff in the water. One of the guides mentioned that the over the last couple of weeks they'd had numerous close sightings of orcas and humpbacks while in the water. We saw salmon jumping very close to us. They even see black bears on the shore every now and then.

Was a great tour. Best of the cruise by far. Don't know much about the other company in town that does it but I've read a couple of things that weren't very flattering. I think it was safety issues. We felt very safe with snorkel alaska. Lots of personal attention and they had all the safety equipment like floats and first aid stuff.

Although I haven't actually done this tour, I can give you a good idea of how well people enjoy it, as I'm a bus driver for one of the cruise ship tour companies. As some have mentioned, the groups are pretty small, since the idea of snorkeling in Alaska sounds to most people like it wouldn't be fun. But everyone I've taken out there has had a great time. The people who run the tour are super nice, very well-organized (unlike some other tours I won't mention...) and a lot of fun.

We did Snorkel Alaska through Holland America in Ketchikan on 7/4/05. It was great. It was raining(of course) and we dreaded going in the rain. We thought we wouldn't see anything but we were wrong. We saw plenty of marine life. There were 20 in our group! The guides at Snorkel Alaska were fantastic. The went down to get starfish and other things for us to look at and they were also explaining how the starfish feed, protect tehmselves, etc. Would definitely recommend it.

Joanne

Archived