Price Line - name your price - Galveston Island

Nonna50

I have been reading about people getting great deals by using priceline name your own price. Unfortunately all of these hotels where in San Juan, PR. Three people have gotten The Caribe Hilton in San Juan PR for $80 - $90 regular price is $200 - $300. I can't find anyone that has done it for Galveston. Any info would be helpful.. Also, I was reading and they talk about taxes and fees and that some may be over what the hotel gets and that price line will keep these fees for their services. Are these fees crazy? Am I going to end up paying the same price as if I just booked at regular price?:eek::confused:

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have been reading about people getting great deals by using priceline name your own price. Unfortunately all of these hotels where in San Juan, PR. Three people have gotten The Caribe Hilton in San Juan PR for $80 - $90 regular price is $200 - $300. I can't find anyone that has done it for Galveston. Any info would be helpful.. Also, I was reading and they talk about taxes and fees and that some may be over what the hotel gets and that price line will keep these fees for their services. Are these fees crazy? Am I going to end up paying the same price as if I just booked at regular price?:eek::confused:

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I've never used Priceline for hotels. Main reason: we often travel as a family (3 to 5 people), and I'm not sure if Priceline allows the option of choosing a room with at least two beds.

I do know someone who's very good at manipulating the Priceline site and always seems to get a great deal. When you look at Priceline its usually divided into certain sections of a city (not sure about Galveston). If you can find a section that has, say only one or two 3 or 4 star hotels, and you put in a bid asking for only that section, you'd either get rejected, or you'd pretty much know what hotel you're getting.

What cruise line, btw? We're doing a Disney cruise shortly, booked the Hotel Galvez through Disney. It wasn't a great deal (could've gotten a better Priceline price but there's three of us). Galvez is the only Galveston hotel Disney offers, and, since we're traveling with our 4 yr old DGD, we figured we were safer booking transfers and hotel through Disney. If it was just DW and I, I would've shopped around more.

We are on Carnival Magic. I figure I'm just going to start with low $$ and high ** and the worst thing that could happen is I get rejected. I did read on another post the the rooms you get from priceline only have one bed so you were smart not to do it with more than 2 of you. A friend of mine goes to Galveston all the time and she says the Galvez is beautiful. You will love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Start here: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/topic/38852/HOUSTON-HOTELS-LIST-INCLUDING-GALVESTON#.UlLbvxco6mU

Scroll down for the hotels in Galveston. That will show you which hotels are in which Priceline zone, and give you an idea of which hotels you'll likely get for each star level. Then pop over to TripAdvisor and read about the hotels you're interested in.

Then you can check here to see what people have bid and if they got it or not, but I usually don't see too many Galveston hotels:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/87/Texas-HoustonGalveston/Texas-HoustonGalveston#.UlLcLRco6mV

I would just start early, and bid what you want to bid, and hope for the best! And as far as the bed situation goes, every time I have Pricelined a hotel I have just called the hotel directly after I won the bid and put in my special requests. It's just my son and I, and my request for separate beds has never been an issue at all.

Hope this helps!

-gina-

It is looking like Galveston isn't going to be as easy as some other cities.

Thanks everyone.

I mentioned my former cruisemate whom I consider to be a Priceline expert. Told her about this thread and she said Galveston seems to be the toughest place to get a reduced rate through Priceline (or any other course!).

Part of the problem could be that many hotels have a 2 day minimum. I know I also looked into bed & breakfasts - some good rates, but also usually a 2 day minimum.

And, is it just me, or do Galveston restaurant menus seem a bit pricier than other areas?

We tried several star levels and prices, we finally "won" a 2.5 star for $35. It ended up being the La Quinta.

After you win the bid, you can contact the hotel directly and make bed requests. There are no guarantees, but it seems the two queen beds are not as desirable, so that's often what us priceliners get.

We tried several star levels and prices, we finally "won" a 2.5 star for $35. It ended up being the La Quinta.

After you win the bid, you can contact the hotel directly and make bed requests. There are no guarantees, but it seems the two queen beds are not as desirable, so that's often what us priceliners get.

Wow! $35 for 2.5 star. I figured the 2.5 star was as low as I wanted to go and would have to spend at least $60.. It just floors me how expensive the hotels are in Galveston. But I guess if you want to spend the night before the cruise you will pay it. Did you stay on Saturday night or during the week? Was it just 1 night? Did you pick all 3 hotel areas in Galveston? I think that covers all my ?? for now.. Thanks.

A friend of mine goes to Galveston all the time and she says the Galvez is beautiful. You will love it.

Agree. We stayed at the Galvez last year for a few days before our cruise and it was fabulous. Pricey but worth it. :)

Wow! $35 for 2.5 star. I figured the 2.5 star was as low as I wanted to go and would have to spend at least $60.. It just floors me how expensive the hotels are in Galveston. But I guess if you want to spend the night before the cruise you will pay it. Did you stay on Saturday night or during the week? Was it just 1 night? Did you pick all 3 hotel areas in Galveston? I think that covers all my ?? for now.. Thanks.

We are cruising Nov 4, so the hotel is for Sunday the 3rd. We reserved 2 rooms, after winning it gave the option to add nights, but that's not always the case. We picked all the areas in Galveston. The total with fees and taxes for 2 rooms was $88.18.

I actually tend to like 2.5 stars, because they usually offer free breakfast and wifi.

I need the room for saturday night (before Thanksgiving of all nights) so I just bid $45 on a 2.5 star and got rejected. I'm just going to keep raising it a couple dollars at a time. I need 2 rooms. I thought maybe that would help. We'll see. I think I will end up between $60 & $70.:eek:

I need the room for saturday night (before Thanksgiving of all nights) so I just bid $45 on a 2.5 star and got rejected. I'm just going to keep raising it a couple dollars at a time. I need 2 rooms. I thought maybe that would help. We'll see. I think I will end up between $60 & $70.:eek:

My husband and I both have Priceline accounts, that way we get twice the bids, just make sure to bid using different devices/computers or at least different browsers. Good luck, we use Priceline a ton and have always been happy with our experience.

Very good idea. I was very mad when tried to bid again at a few dollars more and they said I had to go down a star level or add a new area or wait 24 hrs. Thanks for the info. I can play this game.

If you do, stay in the Texas City, Webster, Clear Lake, Kemah area. The

port is about 30 minutes or less from there. We find the hotel's much

nicer,as well as less expensive there. Galveston hotels get constant use,

little refurbishing, and are more expensive.

That depends on the quality of the hotel.

Galveston has some beautiful hotels and Bed & Breakfasts.

You get what you pay for:rolleyes: Destination and resort areas are typically more expensive anywhere. There are also high and low seasons.

The more popular a hotel, the more it is booked.

A place that doesn't get very much business will never have the capital to maintain or upgrade.

Archived