Anyone back from Viking Forseti or Rhine Getaway?

travelgenie

We leave in 2 weeks for the Rhine Getaway on the Forseti. I had read that the ship had been in a couple of accidents and was wondering the status. Also, we have not received our cruise documents and over the weekend received an email from Viking that there has been technical difficulties and our documents will be delayed which is leading me to think that maybe something may be up with the Forseti...

I haven't seen any posts lately on lock strikes and water levels, hope this means all is good on the Rhine, would love to hear anyone's experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
We leave in 2 weeks for the Rhine Getaway on the Forseti. I had read that the ship had been in a couple of accidents and was wondering the status. Also, we have not received our cruise documents and over the weekend received an email from Viking that there has been technical difficulties and our documents will be delayed which is leading me to think that maybe something may be up with the Forseti...

I haven't seen any posts lately on lock strikes and water levels, hope this means all is good on the Rhine, would love to hear anyone's experiences.

Just back. No problems with lock sfrikes or water levels. Although in Koln, ship tempotarily located on other side from city centre to fix gang plank. Moved over so people could walk into city at night.

Thanks mathladyca for your reply. Could you tell me a little about the day in Heidelburg? We have been there a few years ago while we were visiting friends who lived nearby. I remember having to climb a lot of stairs to get to the castle and having recovered from a knee injury ( stairs still aggravates it), I don't want to do that again since we have been there. Is there an opportunity to go out exploring on our own and meeting up with the group? I see in my documents that the ship moves to Speyer during this time, so I am wondering if this is possible...also what time did you arrive in Rudesheim? We have also been there as well and remembered lots of shops with German Christmas items, were they open into the evening? Would love to hear any suggestions or comments about your trip.

I think you may be going the opposite way- we went basel to'dam. We did not stop in Speyer. The execursion to Heidelburg left Mannheim at 8:30 and returned at about 12:30. We had time -about an hr to shop etc. The climb was as bad as Marksburg castle and once there the walk was easy. Came down via the funicular tram. The guide could easily show you on the map where the meeting place would be (in market square). Buses took us back to Mannheim and at 1 pm we sailed for Rudesheim, arriving at 6:30.

Not much was open when we walked to town area about 8:30- 9 save for pubs and a few very tacky souvenir shops. Great Christmas shop however in Heidleberg. Really surprised that everything in Rudesheim closed early since there were about 5 ships at the dock. This is one of the optional excursions, dinner and music at a local pub. Those who went had a good time. Price was about 69 euros per person though.

Since you are American you may enjoy the trip to the American war museum in Colmar rather than the tour of Colmar, especially on a Sunday when C. shops are mostly closed. Take the free shuttle into Basel on embarkation day if you are not spending precruise time there. It was a lovely afternoon (except for a 1/2 hr downpour).

Not sure if the itinerary has changed, but when we went last November those who did not want to go to the Marksburg Castle stayed on board and sailed to the next stop which was Speyer.

That's what we did, too. Was a very nice day.

Archived