CariSickness - Best of Antigua Tour

lwuest

Doing a Celebrity cruise in November and we are thinking of doing the best of Antigua tour. A member of our party is prone to car sickness when on winding roads. I can't tell from the description if bus tour would include lots of quick turns and winding roads. We will want to do the same types of sightseeing tours in Barbados, St. Martin and St. Lucia, so I will probably post the same question on those boards.

Thanks for all of the knowledge everyone on CC shares!!!

I too am prone to car sickness. When in St. Lucia a few years back we took a tour that I was really looking forward to with other CC members. My DH and I were in the rear of a 12 passenger van and I started feeling sick about 20 minutes in to the tour despite have pre medicated. At our first stop someone up front was kind enough to switch seats with me but that didn't really help. The roads were very winding and the motion sickness just progressed to a point where they had to cut the tour short and take us back to the ship.

Many of the islands are mountainous and the roads winding and I've taken motor tours in several of them and have experienced car sickness off and on but not as bad as in St. Lucia. Due to my own experience there I would caution your friend about taking a bus trip there.

Thank you so much for your reply. We recently did a 12 passenger van tour that went up into the Hollywood Hills and my friend experienced the exact same experience you described. She looked and felt miserable! From your response I'm thinking there will probably be few island tours she will be able to enjoy. We will be in Antigua, Barbbados, St. Lucia and St. John's. Again, appreciate your input!

My wife suffers from carsickness, especially in the mornings. Later afternoon and evening is usually fine. Unfortunately most tours are in the morning and early afternoon. We always book an independent tour for ourselves and I communicate with the operator in very clear terms the problem. I tell them we may have to improvise and cover less miles on the tour if my wife is feeling sick. We ask for the slowest, most cautious driver they can provide if there is a choice. I also state that if, in my opinion, the driver is not following my directions with regard to speed and smooth driving there will be no tip and the second half of the payment will not be paid (Never pay more than 1/2 up front and try to arrange for complete payment at the end as it gives you more leverage). We have done this quite a few times after some bad experiences and it has always worked. I guarantee you that if you contact a few tour operators, at least one if not all will understand what you want and be more than happy to work with you. Quite frankly, it works out to an easier day for them as they probably cover less miles. And in addition we have found the tours to be much more enjoyable even when you see only 80% of what was planned.

• 4 weeks later...