Coffee??

rburns44

I admit not being a coffee drinker I know nothing about it. Wanted to know if the coffee you buy on the islands to take home is ground for machines or beans? Am thinking to bring some home for others. Sorry to be so ignorant! Thanks!

Becky

They have both ground and beans. Make sure of the proportions of the coffee your buying. A lot of Kona coffee will have small print saying, 'at least 15% pure Kona Coffee", which means it's blended with Columbian coffee or coffee from somewhere else. Look for 100% Kona Coffee on the label. It's more expensive, but you'll notice it's stronger and you may be able to get away with using half as much coffee per pot.

If you go to the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium there's a couple of booths that sell coffee cheaper than in the stores.

Also look for coupons for discounts on coffee.

Coffee makes an excellent gift to bring home to friends. :cool:

You can buy ground or whole, cheap or expensive, premium quality and :P

Kona coffee is what you will find here. The bag will tell you how much Kona is in the bag....usually around 10%...you can get that for $5 (and in your local grocery store, for that matter).

If you want 100% Kona (As for a gift, yes!) expect to pay $25-$30 a pound. You WILL find 'cheap' Kona for $7-15 a bag....personally, I wouldnt give that stuff as a gift. The best 'gift' would be a bag right from a grower...there are plenty. I remember fondly a woman I worked with brought the office a bag of Kona back from her Honeymoon and we all had a couple of great pots! Now I live here and usually buy the Kona for the holidays.

That is my opinion...there have been posts where people try to find the 'cheapest' prices for Kona. There IS plenty of that everywhere from Kmart to the airport. I just don't enjoy the cheap stuff.

Archived