Atlantic Weather in the Fall?

MollyBrown

In terms of the possibilities of storms/rough weather, would you say it would be better to cross in October or November? I know the closer to winter one is the rougher the sea tends to be, but I believe hurricaine season lasts through October if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks.

Previous attempt at responding disappeared mid-sentence, so will try again.

I think weather and sea conditions always a crapshoot, particularly in the North Atlantic.

We have crossed Westbound in August twice, and once each in September and November, and each time we have encountered storms, although only one was what I would call very rough, particularly West of the Azores.

Smoothest Westbound crossing was a far North routing, via Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland, although there was some chop off Newfoundland, it was not bad.

Smoothest crossing we have had was a March crossing, Eastbound, from Recife Brazil to Dakar Senegal, on a cruise from Buenos Aires to Barcelona.

A little motion does remind you that you are on the ocean, which is always an adventure.

I have crossed from Southampton down to the caribbean for xmas on several occasions now. Sometimes it's hit and miss whether we will get into our first port of call or not!! If the weather is really rough sometimes we have to miss it out. We are coming over to NY in Sept and returning from NY in Oct. I am so hoping that whatever the north atlantic throws at me is just like my experience going South!!!!!! Of course the bay of biscay has to be encountered going South and the bay can be very hit and miss too!!!!!! I'm sure if I can put up with the bay of biscay I can put up with the north atlantic (can't I)?????

Elaine

Elaine

I did a June transatlantic (NY to Southampton) and an Oct Med cruise (departing on QE2 from Southampton) and the Bay of Biscay was far worse. We had one day (just out of NY) when it was a little rough but nothing like the 2 days rolling in the bay! But as others have pointed out..you can't predict it.

Regards

Morgana

Elaine

I did a June transatlantic (NY to Southampton) and an Oct Med cruise (departing on QE2 from Southampton) and the Bay of Biscay was far worse. We had one day (just out of NY) when it was a little rough but nothing like the 2 days rolling in the bay! But as others have pointed out..you can't predict it.

Regards

Morgana

No, I have to agree about the bay of biscay. It is a law unto itself really!! In the summer when you think it should be calm it can be really really rough and then in the winter it can be fairly quiet. You just never know from one trip to another. But I'm always prepared for any eventuality!!

Elaine

Archived