Cozumel and Progreso - What to do?

MellowJello

I will be on the Triumph for 5 days next month with my fiance. Just wondering if it was feasible to just "hang out" at the ports. Do we really need to book an excursion to make it worth while? Could we just walk around and find a beach at these two places?

Neither of us have ever been on a cruise, so we want some input. Thanks!

P.S. We wouldn't be opposed to snorkeling. We just really want a relaxing trip -- not crazy adventures or going far from the port.

In Progresso, after you take the free shuttle to town, the beach is only 2-4 blocks from the drop off point.

It is free, but they will charge you for a lounger. Servers from the nearby bars will bring your drinks.

But remember, Progresso has the gulf water so not a blue as Caribbean.

I don't know of any beaches within walking distance in Cozumel. Maybe someone else does?

We dont do excusrions in Progresso. Its a great little town. We walk around the town and eventually make it to the beach (its not near as clear as cozumel but still a beach). we have never felt unsafe in Progresso even last time with our 2 yr old toddler, 8 yr old and 12 yr old. We just took the bus to the bus terminal from the cruise ship and then just set out walking. Walked around town, through a couple of produce type markets, to the good market, took the double decker bus tour, then walked toward the beach and stopped at a little local place to eat lunch before we got to the beach. We enjoyed that. Progresso is a great little town. I would even consider going there on a vacation in the future.

In Cozumel, we found Playa Uvas the first time we went then found Ocean VIP beach club the last time we were there. We book those directly with the beach club. We prefer Ocean VIP. Their All inclusive really is AI. The food is unlimited as are the drinks and the beach and amenitites are nice. Service is great at both places. Makes for a great relaxing day on the beach. We also usually just walk around Cozumel near the cruise terminals. The downtown terminal area has a lot of neat shops and the big grocery store near it. The Puerta Maya terminal has some neat booths outside the cruise ship terminals that are run by locals (not the gift shops right at the port)

we did this cruise from new orleans a couple of years ago i went to ports area in cruise critic learned you ride the bus to town from the ship where the bus lets you off take a left and walk a couple of blocks you are at the beach there are tables and chairs on the beach you can sit there if you order something to drink or eat we had tacos they were very good ther are shops and restraunts along the beach it is a quaint little place there are people selling stuff coming by say no thank you and they move on they also do massages on the beach we did not do that but many did pretty reasonable i think maby 15 dollars maby not sure about that it was a nice day. several years ago in cozumel we walked to the taxi area and rented a jeep and drove around the island this was fun at that time it was only 40 dollars for the day stopped at several beaches mr sanchos ate there on the beach good food paradice beach i had heard alot about this beach so wanted to see it no admission charge but you pay for loungers and that kind of stuff it was ok then went to the other side of the island beautiful over there not as good a swimming area with waves and all but so pretty and not alot of people there is just one road goes around the island cant get lost we didnt get all the way around the back side road was closed at that time so went back around to the town of san miguel parking is hard to find down there so just be aware it is a good shopping area though really fun day for not much money hope this helps

Totally agree with Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. It is laid back and beautiful.

Another vote for Nachi in Cozumel. You have to have reservations beforehand (they limit the number of visitors, so it's never crowded), but just grab a cab when you get through the port and tell them "Nachi Cocum" and they'll take you straight to it, and the Nachi people will call a cab when you're ready to go back to the ship.

Progreso is very easy and safe if you want to shop and hang out at the beach. This time I'm going to take a bus into Merida and shop/explore there.

Have a great cruise!

In Cozumel, we found Playa Uvas the first time we went then found Ocean VIP beach club the last time we were there. We book those directly with the beach club. We prefer Ocean VIP. Their All inclusive really is AI. The food is unlimited as are the drinks and the beach and amenitites are nice.

Do you mind telling me where you booked your excursion? I am looking at This site to book at Ocean VIP but I want to make sure it's the correct place before I do.

Archived