Lahaina Excursion Question

azjocruiser

I'm trying to get info on how often the bus runs for the Lahaina On Your Own & when the last bus heads back to the ship. We are going the 1st day in Maui & want to book an activity once we get over there. Any info would be appreciated.

Pride of America 7/23/05

I think it is something like 4:30 p.m., but I don't remember for sure from last year.

May I suggest booking a car rental on Maui. Maui is very easy to navigate and it is an easy drive from Kahului to Lahania. We rented a mini-van last year on our first day on Maui and was able to see a lot more. From Alamo, it cost us $60.00 and divided amongst the six of us who went together for the car, that was only $10 a person. (cheaper than NCL's tour). You also don't have to worry about getting back as fast. We kept the car until 9:30 p.m. before returning it. The Alamo shuttle was still running to the ship.

Maui is very easy to navigate and it is an easy drive from Kahului to Lahania.

If your ship comes into Lahaina rather than Kahului, the rental-car arencies on that side of Maui (west side) are mostly grouped in the Kaanapali area, about 15 minutes north of Lahaina. I spoke with National Car Rental, which runs busses or mini-vans between Lahaina and their office in Kaanapali at 30-minute intervals -- but the last shuttle-bus back to Lahaina leaves National's Kaanapali location at 4:00pm. That doesn't give you a full day's rental time, but they have arrangements for late drop-off if you're willing to take a cab back to Lahaina.

If your ship is docking in Kahului, get a rental car. Not that Lahaina isn't nice to visit for a couple of hours, there is just so much more to do and see on Maui than Lahaina. We did what you are planning on our last Hawaiian cruise, we even had a rental car lined up, but decided to take the (then free) bus instead, it was a very disappointing day. By the time we spent a couple of hours shopping (not our fav activity) we still had to wait for the first return shuttle back to the ship. By then, it was really too late to plan for anything else.

Even if you have an excursion planned in Lahaina, still get your own car, you will be so happy you did.

Bucks: I believe that the Pride of America and Pride of Aloha always dock in Kahului since they overnight in Maui and in Lahania, they anchor and would have to run tenders all night. But Bucks is right, if you happen to anchor in Lahania, getting a car would be a pain.

HappyK's is right too. There is so much to do on Maui and you can do it at your own pace and for a cheaper price with a rental car. We did the Iao Valley, Maui Ocean Center and Lahania all in one day with the car. We even made a swing back to the ship from the Ocean Center to pick up a family member who had done a short NCL excursion that morning.

The closest rental car place to Lahaina is Enterprise, located at the Sheraton, on Kanaapali beach. We made a reservation from home, then we called them from our cell phone on the tender boat as we were going over, and they were waiting for us at the pier. We went to some beaches that were drop-dead gorgeous! I have lived in FL, and have been all over the Caribbean, and have never ever seen beaches like these! We had lunch at Maui Tacos, fresh Ahi tuna tacos and smoothies & shave ice. We drove around, saw sights, and still had time to shop around in Lahinia. The car was around 30.00 for the day. Next time we go to Hawaii, we are going to fly directly to Maui. There is so much to see there (Road to Hana, Halaakla Park) and you can't do it in one day. Plus, we found out there is a ferry to Lanaki, a nice day trip for really unspolied beaches, I can't imagine what those look like!

All the suggestions sound better then the excursion but I am in need of some more details since I was in Maui was 10 years ago, stayed in Lahaina, rented a car & drove all over but have no idea. Such as, who has cars & where in Kahului do we pick them up. I've been trying to find out how long & how difficult of a drive is it over to Lahaina from Kahului. Any help would be great. Thanks Joanne :)

Lahaina to Kahului is somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour of driving. Pretty easy since it's essentially one highway from one location to another (follow the signs). Pick up of rental cars will be at Kahului Airport - all major car rental agencies are represented (Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Alamo, etc. etc.) - check prices under the airport code OGG.

Spleen

I'm trying to get info on how often the bus runs for the Lahaina On Your Own & when the last bus heads back to the ship. We are going the 1st day in Maui & want to book an activity once we get over there. Any info would be appreciated.
The most current bus schedule can be found at http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/.

Aquatic... If I decide to rent a car, for one day, through Enterprise (Maui) and return it at their late drop off area, should I rent it with a return date of the next day? If I enter a return time of 9:00 p.m., the internet site indicates that the Enterprise office is not open during those evening hours. Since I am paying for a daily rental... I suppose I should simply enter the return date as the following morning (ie. 9:30a.m. Monday to 9:30am Tuesday) That way the car is returned prior to the scheduled drop off time and there should be no danger of late fees. Does that make sense or is it not necessary? We plan to rent for the day approximately 9:30 a.m. til 9:30 p.m.

Archived