Enchantment New England 8/21 Sh.Ex. Advice

milt

:)Sailing for the first time to New England. Should I book shore excursions through RCCL or on my own? Is renting a car practical this time of year at any of the ports? Can I do whale watching and Acadia in one day? My wife and I love to walk? Is it possible to do Peggy's Cove and walk Halifax in a day? We looked at some guide books but we would appreciate first hand information. Also we are not sure what to do in Martha's Vineyard and Portland; any idea would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

I'm from Boston, you really do not need to rent a car while here. The mbta has many different lines that can take you all over Boston and the cities nearby.

Martha's Vineyard has beautiful beaches and tours of the island. There are also many shops to browse through.

I have not been to Portland but I do think they have good restaurants, especially if you want Lobster.

I hope this information helps you out and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

:)Sailing for the first time to New England. Should I book shore excursions through RCCL or on my own? Is renting a car practical this time of year at any of the ports? Can I do whale watching and Acadia in one day? My wife and I love to walk? Is it possible to do Peggy's Cove and walk Halifax in a day? We looked at some guide books but we would appreciate first hand information. Also we are not sure what to do in Martha's Vineyard and Portland; any idea would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

IMHO you can spend the entire day in Halifax along the waterfront but if you want to go to Peggy's Cove you can rent a car and go on your own or with locals (or ship tour).. not sure how long your port call is but that should leave you a couple of hours.. there is a good website http://www.halifaxinfo.com that will give you some info.. Great seafood here and in Portland right along waterfront. In Halifax the Maritime Museum is wonderful.

In Portland you don't need a car to explore the city/Casco Bay area as there are plenty of locals offering inexpensive options right along the waterfront.. the lighthouses are beautiful in the bay and the seafood is excellent along the waterfront. Some did tour to Kennenbunkport when we were in Portland but said they didn't have enough time there.

http://mvy.com/

This will give you some info for Martha's Vineyard. There are also local taxis that will be at the pier as you get there and you can get an island tour from them. They can customize it to what you are interested in doing. On this site I believe they list the local taxi companies so you can contact them prior to getting there and find out pricing and different options.

Archived