Which route?

Kirsty

This is probably a stupid question, but what route does QM2 take out of Southampton, is it straight across the Atlantic, or does it depend on weather??? (dont forget Im new at this stuff!!!):confused:

This is probably a stupid question, but what route does QM2 take out of Southampton, is it straight across the Atlantic, or does it depend on weather??? (dont forget Im new at this stuff!!!):confused:

Kirsty,

The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked! There are others on this board of a more nautical bent than I, who may be able to reply more precisely - but you've got it about right. 'Straight across' on a globe translates into a 'Great Circle route' - which is the shortest between two points on a sphere, but yes, this will be varied depending on the weather - I have sailed quite a long way south to avoid weather. The Mercator projection distorts Northern latitudes - so you actually spend what feels like quite a long time sailing down the coast of North America, rather than in being in 'open' Atlantic.

I was told that the transatlantic route in spring and early summer is further south than during late summer and fall. The reason is the potential for icebergs in the northern circle route.

I know that my most recent crossing was in October and we went very far north and skimmed or so it seemed) the coast of Newfoundland.

I any case, I have a photo taken on QE2 showing the routes, if someone can tell me how to attach it.

Thnks for that:)

Sometimes the ship will follow a Great Circle course from Fastnet to Cape Race and then a Rhumb Line course down to New York. (Peter.. that is RHUMB not RUM!!!!) All ships are 'weather routed' so will normally follow the best course that has been given to them to avoid any depressions on the way over.

Stephen

Many thanks for reply Stephen - but I think you've baffled me!!!

Kirsty

:confused:

Kristy,

When you get aboard, grab one of the Nivigating Officers and ask him for an explanation of Great Circle & Rhumb Line courses.

Or.... grab a bartender and talk about RhUMb line and enGINe rooms!!!!!;)

Have fun!

Stephen

Archived