Harrison's cave/timing of visit

gogirlatl

Hi all,

I will be on Barbados for the day from a cruise. We want to be able to visit Harrison's cave and also spend some beach time. Any advice on wether I should do the cave first or beach time first? At the beach we plan on doing some snorkeling--water clarity is typically better in the morning. But I am afraid if we wait until the afternoon to go to the caves, it will be crowded and we won't make it back to port on time (ship leaves at 5pm). We would be taking a taxi in between. Would rather not do a tour.

Thanks!

Gogirl

I always encourage visitors to the island to see Harrison’s Cave first.

It can get crowded with a substantial queue later in the morning.

Get off the ship and secure a taxi first thing. You should be able to beat the ships’ tours and be one of the first at the Caves.

After your tour, have the driver drop you off at Folkstone Underwater Park in Holetown. Good snorkeling unless there is a North swell.

Easy to get back to the ship from here, just walk out to the highway and flag a cab. 15-20 minutes back to Deep Water Harbour. No worries.

Have a grand adventure! :)

Do I need to purchase tickets in advance for Harrison's cave, or can I just show up? I will have my parents (active 70's) with me. Also are there chair & snorkel equip rentals at Folkstone Marine Park? Most of us will be snorkeling, but mom really likes to have a beach chair while she waits for us! Thanks so much for your advice!

No, you don't have to purchase tickets in advance as far as I am aware, just show up.

As you requested snorkeling, I think Folkestone, especially with older folks along would be great.

Here is what Totally Barbados says about Folkestone:

Folkestone Beach

Folkestone Beach, located at Church Point, just north of St.James church has so much to offer the entire family. The beach is golden sand and the water calm for swimming.

Things to Do

There is a lifeguard on duty and beach security. The beach is lined with picnic tables and there are changing facilities offering showers and toilets, beach chairs for sunbathing.

Home to the Folkstone Underwater Park, there is a 2km stretch of marine reserve. Snorkeling is particularly good here and equipment is available for rent. As this beach is home to Folkestone Marine Park there are many amenities, food and drink as well as a souvenir shop. The children may play in the adventure park and there are also tennis courts here.

Features

• Safe swimming

• Lifeguard

• Beach chairs

• Food & Drink available

• Picnic tables

• Toilets

• Showers

• Kids playground

• Tennis Courts

• Snorkeling equipment rental

• Lockers

Driving Directions

Folkestone Beach is located on the west coast of the island, in the parish of St. James. From Spring Garden Highway, at the Frank Worrell roundabout turn right onto Walmer Lodge, you will see an Esso station on your right, follow road up the beautiful gold coast of our island and there, amidst glorious hotels, restaurants and beaches, continue past Holetown and on your left will be the sign for Folkestone Marine Park.

Snorkeling will generally be better if you boated out, rather than snorkeling from the beach, but it can be quite good at this spot nevertheless.

Enjoy! :)

That sounds great! I wanted to make sure it was a place mom would feel comfortable and safe when the rest of us desert her to go float face down in the water for an hour or so, lol. Usually I love to do the research, but nothing beats someone with the personal experience.

Any idea what to expect on taxi prices to Harrison's cave for 4 people? (my last question, but you've been so helpful)

I seldom do taxis anymore, but the last time I checked the rate it was US$25/hour for up to four (4) in the cab----NOT $25/each!.

Even though the Cave is only about six (6) miles from the harbour, it will probably take 30-45 minutes. I think you will be in to US$15-20 one way on a good day.

Now, about taxis……

The ones lined up in the compound just as you exit the terminal are…..organised. They stick to the government prices and I doubt that you will ever come close to a US$20 fee if you select one of these guys. You'll get the $10 per head offer.

Continue to walk past them, through the Gatehouse out to the roundabout on Princess Alice Hwy. There you’ll find many taxi drivers that will welcome your group for a discounted, but fair, price. It’s only a 5-10 minute slow walk.

Always confirm that the price that you are given is in US$, not BD$. One (1) US$ = Two (2) BD$, so try and always confirm which tender you are talking about.

Also, most of the drivers will wait for you at Harrison’s while you tour, at little, or no, charge and then take you to your next stop.

Again, best wishes for a grand adventure! :)

Archived