New Orleans - what are the MUST SEE places

dkc1973

We are sailing out Nov 30 and due to our schedules we will be arriving in New Orleans around noon on the 29th.

My niece (25yo) has never been there and I want to at least give her a taste of the city but I haven't been there in 20 years!

With only about a half a day to spare, what are the big things we need to make a point to drive by or stop at?

We are sailing out Nov 30 and due to our schedules we will be arriving in New Orleans around noon on the 29th.

My niece (25yo) has never been there and I want to at least give her a taste of the city but I haven't been there in 20 years!

With only about a half a day to spare, what are the big things we need to make a point to drive by or stop at?

I would check out tripadvisor. There is a wealth of information on NOLA.

New Orleans isn't the type of city that has "big things to drive by and see", that is why I think your question is hard to answer. New Orleans is about soaking in the atmosphere and understanding the history a bit. I wouldn't focus on trying to see a bunch of things but rather stroll around the French Quarter (or do the walking tour done daily by Friends of the Cabildo) which will give you just enough history and a great overview of the French Quarter.

Tour Times

10:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.

Tuesday-Sunday

1850 House Museum Store

(523 St. Ann St. on Jackson Square)

(504) 524-9118

Reservations not Required

Tickets $15, $10 Students

We just had an out of town guest, first time visitor to New Orleans (27 years old) and she loved Frenchmen Street. Reading the history about Frenchmen St. beforehand was very interesting to her.

Avoid Bourbon St.

Edited by World Gallery

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from NOLA. Stayed a couple extra days. We did the Hop On - Hop Off Bus Tour (Google it). It was excellent!

If you just stayed on the bus, the whole route takes about 2 hours. There's a bus at each stop about every half hour if you did want to get off at one of the stops.

It's a double-decker bus. The top level is open, half shaded with a canopy. You can get on at any stop and pay for your ticket inside the bus.