Booking hotels...are they REALLY sold out?

guitarboy53

Hi Folks!

I just thought I would share this with ya. While it doesn’t have anything to do with cruising specifically, it has everything to do with booking the hotel you really want to stay at.

Every year I do a bike ride from Seattle to Vancouver BC and this year, I was late booking the finish line hotel. Since I am not familiar with down town Vancouver all that well, I wasn’t sure which hotels would be close to the one I was looking for. I called the hotel directly--sold out. I checked out all the websites...Orbitz, Expedia--sold out. While browsing through some tourism travel websites--that appear to be hosted by either the City of Vancouver or B.C.--, I found that there were rooms still available!! So I booked as soon as I found it and I have a guaranteed confirmation. At this point, I really hope it doesn’t get canceled for some freak reason;) I am thinking that the travel companies "reserve" so many of these rooms for their clients or customers....Expedia and Orbitz must have been sold out of their share?!? Anyway, I am just super stoked I got the room I was looking for! A little over a month after my annual bike ride, I get to go on my first Celebrity Cruise. I can’t wait!!

Matt

Matt, there are always rooms at hotels. They usually keep a few in reserve. If you had asked for the rooms manager, he/she would have made a reservation for you! Many people book and then cancel ,so usually they overbook. Unfortunately sometimes, they are forced to send you to another property nearby if you have a late arrival. Check in EARLY!

I just for hotels on Expedia.ca and Hotel.com. Both said hotels in San Padro were full for Jan. I phoned the hotel chain and got a room cheaper then on those two web site. It pays to phone around sometimes and 1-800 numbers do not cost you. I have my hotel for my cruise now. I may try priceline to beat what I am paying but it will have to be a good savings for me to switch.

Rooms get blocked off and released all the time, so one booking method (say expedia or travelocity) may not show availability, the 1-800 number may say yes, and the front desk may have another answer. Calling the hotel directly and asking for the manager will occationally yeild a room that may otherwise not be available. Also, hotels may be blocked off for a group, so when you call if you don't say "I'm with..." they'll tell you they're booked up, mention the group and suddenly there's a room for you.

Basically call the hotel directly and if the manager still says nothing is available ask to be put on a waiting list if they are maintaining one. Also, call back every couple of days in case something opens up. Finally, make sure you have a plan B, book another room Just in Case.

Archived