Arriving at port of Miami-

We will be coming in a day ahead and wanted to know the process of how to handle the luggage.We are staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami- and will be taking a cab to the port along with many others I presume. When we get to the port- do we then put on the luggage tags and hand to the porters? or what? We will have priority check in since we are staying in a GS -will this help to hasten things? We have never been here before and just want to know how this works? thanks in advance- you all have helped so much!

Claim your luggage when you get to Miami and go to your hotel. Put your crusie ship luggage tags on your bags before going to the pier. Leave your luggage with the porters at the pier. You can then go to the priority check-in area in the terminal building.

Don't forget to tip the porter! We usually tip at least $1 per bag with a minimum tip of $5 if there is less than 5 bags.

Be glad you have priority check in. I'm assuming you'll get to sit in the departure lounge. All the rest of cruisers not allowed in the priority lounge get to stand in line to wait to board if you arrive earlier than their allowing people on. This is a design flaw for this port IMO as many of the largest ships dock here.

Diva,

I just got back from the Majesty of the Seas trip on July 8 (right before hurricane Dennis hit the area!) and did exactly what you are planning to do. Claim your luggage at the airport (longest wait for luggage I've ever experienced) and bring to your hotel. A taxi costs just over $21 to the Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn - Port of Miami is in a great location. We could see our ship from our room which made the kids even more excited. We had pre-paid our room back in November and received a guarantee for a room with a double bed and a pull-out sofa (directly through their website). They tried very hard NOT to honor it. After 20 minutes of discussion and waiting we got the room we had been guaranteed. There's some great Cuban food at the Bayside.

Put your RC tags on your luggage in the morning and take a taxi over to the Port. It will cost roughly $7. The porters take your bag right when you reach the curb. We arrived at the port at 10:50 am (check out at the hotel is 11 am) and had a 1/2 hour wait in the main lobby area. There were only 25 people in there altogether. We were allowed onto the ship after that short wait, but not in our stateroom until 1 pm. We explored the ship, had the buffet lunch and changed into our swimwear and enjoyed the extremely uncrowded pool for a few hours until everyone started coming on board.

You should have no problem with check-in - priority or otherwise. Make sure you have all your documents!! They have additional immigration forms, cruise tickets and guest clearance forms available in the lobby on the shelves.

Have a great trip!

Thank-you all so much. I am printing off information such as this and putting into a vacation folder. this is such a great and helpful place to come for information. I know our cruise is still a ways off yet- but I must tell you we are all so excited. We have received all our passports so I am trying to keep everything together. I will make sure I have everything we need, trust me. Everyone, thanks again!! ;)

Archived