ATM at Buenos Aires Port?

CLOU

We are docking in Buenos Aires and will need to take a taxi to our hotel, which is very nearby. Does anyone know if there are ATMs at the port or if taxes will take credit cards?

We are docking in Buenos Aires and will need to take a taxi to our hotel, which is very nearby. Does anyone know if there are ATMs at the port or if taxes will take credit cards?

If you use a credit card or take local cash from an ATM you will get the official rate of exchange minus foreign currency transaction fees or the ATM fee imposed by the Argentine systems (about $4 per transaction in addition to any other fees imposed by the ATM bank or your bank). When the fee dust settles, that will result in getting about 5.6 pesos per US dollar.

If you trade US dollars on the unofficial aka blue aka black market you will get about 9.8 pesos to the dollar. See www.ambito.com

The black market is so ubiquitous that taxi drivers would probably give you 8 or 9 pesos to the dollar and chuckle thinking they got the best of you.

Ask your driver if he knows an honest "cueva" en route to your hotel so you can change dollars. He will probably earn a commission for taking you to one.

If he can't or won't help you, take as few pesos as you need to from an ATM en route (ATMs are all over the place) to pay him. Ask at your hotel ( barman or bellboy) where to get the correct rate.

Hi, I have been able to obtain Argentinean currency from a Bureau de Change in the UK. Perhaps you might be able to get some in the US before you leave and avoid getting any counterfeit notes after you arrive there

Hotshot80

Are you able to tell me which Bureau de Change in the UK you were able to get some Pesos at as I have tried RBS with no luck and M&S tell me that they sometimes have problems aquiring them.

Thanks

Scottie

Hotshot80

Are you able to tell me which Bureau de Change in the UK you were able to get some Pesos at as I have tried RBS with no luck and M&S tell me that they sometimes have problems aquiring them.

Thanks

Scottie

Hi Scottie, is was actually at Marks and Spencers in Newcastle upon Tyne. I also got some Brazilian Reals over the counter at the same time but had to wait a few days to get some Chilean Pesos. They do seem to have a huge range of currencies available, even if you have to wait a few days to get some of the more obscure ones, good luck, regards, Harold

Edited by Hotshot80

Hi Scottie, is was actually at Marks and Spencers in Newcastle upon Tyne. I also got some Brazilian Reals over the counter at the same time but had to wait a few days to get some Chilean Pesos. They do seem to have a huge range of currencies available, even if you have to wait a few days to get some of the more obscure ones, good luck, regards, Harold

Thanks for the info we also need Reals and Chilean Pesos. I usually get currency at M&S so will go back to make an order. Might have more luck with a larger branch in Edinburgh. We have four weeks until we travel so have time to scout around.

Thanks for the info we also need Reals and Chilean Pesos. I usually get currency at M&S so will go back to make an order. Might have more luck with a larger branch in Edinburgh. We have four weeks until we travel so have time to scout around.

Hi Scottie, I believe that you can order currency from M & S and it will be delivered FOC for an order of £500+ worth of currency, or for a fiver if it for less than £500. It could save you a trip to Edinburgh, just a thought, regards, Harold

Evita above was right as rain. It will cost you about twice as much for your AR pesos if you buy them outside the country at an exchange co or if you acquire them at a Bs As ATM. Unless you want to throw away your travel money, follow Evita's advice and trade US dollars for AR pesos upon arrival.

There is a premium for US dollars over euros and pounds so it would probably be advisable to acquire dollars and travel with them to Arg.

Is there an ATM at the airport in Buenos Aires? Not able to purchase in US at bank when I ordered currency for my trip in Jan. Bank said have to get in Argentine, money to volatile? Anyone been there and gotten Argentenian currency of Pesos at airaport?

If you use a credit card or take local cash from an ATM you will get the official rate of exchange minus foreign currency transaction fees or the ATM fee imposed by the Argentine systems (about $4 per transaction in addition to any other fees imposed by the ATM bank or your bank). When the fee dust settles, that will result in getting about 5.6 pesos per US dollar.

If you trade US dollars on the unofficial aka blue aka black market you will get about 9.8 pesos to the dollar. See www.ambito.com

The black market is so ubiquitous that taxi drivers would probably give you 8 or 9 pesos to the dollar and chuckle thinking they got the best of you.

Ask your driver if he knows an honest "cueva" en route to your hotel so you can change dollars. He will probably earn a commission for taking you to one.

If he can't or won't help you, take as few pesos as you need to from an ATM en route (ATMs are all over the place) to pay him. Ask at your hotel ( barman or bellboy) where to get the correct rate.

What is CUEVA? I read recently that you have to be very careful of counterfeit Pesos in Buenos Aires?? What do you know about this?

What is CUEVA? I read recently that you have to be very careful of counterfeit Pesos in Buenos Aires?? What do you know about this?

A cueva is a black market exchange house, usually a travel agency or a jewelry shop.

There is an ATM at the airport (if you want to waste money , use it).

I know a lot about counterfeit pesos and cuevas are not likely to dispense them.

Try reading a bit at the BA forum of www.tripadvisor.com