Upsell Question

bunburyseagull

On our August cruise both my inlaws as well as Dh and myself marked our stateroom selection no upgrade/upsell and we both received two upsell offers.We took the second one. Perhaps this has changed in recent years.

Not to be picky but I think it would be marked do not upgrade. There is nothing to mark do not upsell.

Not to be picky but I think it would be marked do not upgrade. There is nothing to mark do not upsell.

Agree with u Lorene. Actually " upsell" and not "upsale" is only well known to savvy cruisers. One time a HAL agent didn't know what I mean by upsell. It was embarrassing trying to explain it to supposedly a " pro".

Agree with u Lorene. Actually " upsell" and not "upsale" is only well known to savvy cruisers. One time a HAL agent didn't know what I mean by upsell. It was embarrassing trying to explain it to supposedly a " pro".
Actually, distinguishing a free upgrade from a paid upgrade (aka upsell) is just a convention we have adopted here. In business many if not most upgrades of hardware, software, and services are not free.

But Lorene is correct in that you can not mark your reservation "do not upsell".

Edited by jtl513

Copied below is the exact wording on the booking form on a HAL reservation. You will notice is says nothing about "upsell."

Flexible in your stateroom choice?

Yes No

In some instances, we may be able to assign you to a higher-category stateroom at no additional cost. Keep in mind that a change in stateroom assignment is not guaranteed. Also, any reassigned stateroom may be located on a different part of the deck or on a lower deck than the stateroom you originally chose.

Select 'No' if you have a specific stateroom requirement - such as requiring wheelchair access or a mid-ship location. (Guests who require a Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom should select 'No' to ensure they are not reassigned to a non-accessible stateroom in a higher category.)

Edited by Linda&Vern