what happens if you miss the ship from the last port?

ChelleBee

dh and i are thinking about renting a car on st maarten and driving around the island ourselves. i am a worrier about missing the ship. if we somehow got stuck in traffic and missed the ship what happens to our belongings in the state room?

i know we would have to fly back to san juan and meet the ship. would they have our stuff packed and in the terminal with everyone elses or would we need to go to security to get it and make sure everything is there?

dh and i are thinking about renting a car on st maarten and driving around the island ourselves. i am a worrier about missing the ship. if we somehow got stuck in traffic and missed the ship what happens to our belongings in the state room?

i know we would have to fly back to san juan and meet the ship. would they have our stuff packed and in the terminal with everyone elses or would we need to go to security to get it and make sure everything is there?

Nightmares are made of this. Yes, you would have to fly back, and it is a very expensive one way trip. I think the officials on the ship will gather all your belongings and probably send them along to Corporate headquarters. If I'm thinking correctly thats where all the lost and found items end up. They would probably ship your luggage and contents back to you at your cost. I'm sure it wouldn't be a fun experience. If anybody knows for sure, please post.

I would never go so far, or get so lost, I couldn't be back for ships departure. When I do go ashore, I always leave plenty of time. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they drive on the wrong side of the road, which makes things more difficult. I might be wrong. It's been so long I can't remember.

Edited by dulcimergirl

Not to sound a little over the top - but sounds like you should pack up all your stuff and take it with you just in case lol....

Seriously - that is not what you want to do! Having someone from the boat pack up all your belongings and take them somewhere is not a good thing. I imagine they will also be inspected by customs and it would probably be cheaper just to abandon them!

Nothing wrong with taking a car - just budget plenty of time to get back and have a backup plan to get back to the boat.

we rented a car in st. maarten (i believe from hertz). it was loaded with a GPS with interesting points and we had a plan for the day. We allowed plenty of time and were back on board in plenty of time. Just keep an eye on the time.

Love St. Maarten and loved doing it at our own pace.

I would look to the ports of call board and get information on possible traffic problems. I personally am too worried about missing the ship to try to DIY with a rental car. In St Maarten we booked with a reputable tour guide for a private tour which was very inexpensive. The traffic in the Maho Beach area was very bad and she advise that some people do miss the ship by not allowing enough time for the heavy traffic areas.

If you fell that you will not be back to the ship before departure, pack all your belongings and leave just inside your cabin. That way no one else will pack your stuff. You could also carry it with you.

Hmmm if someone thinks they would have a good chance of not making it back why take the chance.

I would leave plenty of time just in case to make sure we got back in time.

We often rent a car in St. Maartin. Traffic can be very bad in certain areas with lots of single lane roads and round abouts. As long as you allow time and are prepared for this you will be fine. Take your passports and credit cards and a day bag, just in case :D

We watched 4 adults get left behind in Coz. They had been on The Valor, we were on the Conquest. The officials met them at the pier. They boarded our ship in their swimsuits & coverups. We saw them waiting for the gift shop to open shortly after sail away. Would assume they had to pay for their own transportation from Galveston to FL.

Also saw a family with a child in a stroller running towards our sailing ship last year in Nassau. Everyone could hear them yelling stop, stop... The ship had waited well past the posted sail away time. Someone in an aft balcony said he yelled the taxi driver got lost. This was in December, it had been completely dark for nearly an hour.

Not something I would ever want to live through.

i've witnessed the peir runners missing the ship in coz too. it was at the beginning of the cruise though, so i knew they would just have to meet the ship at the next port. when i started imagining all the dire things that could make us miss the ship and st maarten being the last port before debarkation...terrible images of strangers packing my unmentionables started dancing in my head....:eek:

i plan on making sure we have way more time than we need to get back to the ship if we do rent the car.

We always rent cars at almost every port that we can. I don't see why you would have problems getting back to the ship on time. Always use a reputable company and for some reason you run into car problems they will send someone for you. Also I have never come across traffic in St Marteen.