Update on Wine Petition Status

ekkc10753

I can't figure out how HAL developed the orginal wine policy, but it did allow unlimited wine to be brought on board. If Seattle is unhappy with the results, they have no one to blame but themselves. I'm tired of hearing people called cheap-skates; money is not the over-riding reason for all decisions.

I really do believe that the policy will change, probably to something like one bottle per person per port, with a corkage fee slapped onto your bill at boarding and re-boarding when your ID card is swiped.

We can dream, can't we?:)

Edited by ekkc10753
spelling!

Isn't this the same as having one guy bring 4 cases of wine aboard but the next guy can't bring 1 bottle of scotch/whiskey?

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Historically though, virtually all lines have prohibited bringing hard liquor on board. With the exception of course of Regent, Silver Seas, Crystal and Seabourn, however, those luxury cruise lines provide most alcoholic beverages without charge, so they could care less.

Many lines have always allowed wine to be brought on board, almost all limit the quantity and many have fees for such. In the case of HAL they have stood out from the norm with their very liberal wine policy. The most carry on wine we ever witnessed on HAL has been two cases brought on by two folks at the beginning of a three month voyage, where ports that wine could be purchased at were going to be few and far between. Which probably gets at the heart of HAL's old wine policy rationale, many of their voyages were/are exploration types of long duration. With the advent of HAL increasingly offering more and more cruises of shorter duration, producing a larger variety of clientele, they must have determined it to be in their financial best interest to make a policy move toward the mediocre.

For many of us hard core HAL voyagers, their wine policy was one unique element of their business model that set them ahead of the herd.

Hi

Have a question. In port on my lastcruise people were buying hard liquer and others items, they checked them when we got on. I forget what port. They would teturn the bottles in a box the last night. Do airlines charge you extra for the box? I waent to Panama Canal

Mary