Have to be a VIFP Member in Order to Upgrade After Final Payment???

Batman80

I have a big group of friends going on the January 12th sailing of the Breeze and was always under the assumption that after final payment if the rate drops you wouldn't get any money back but you could look at upgrading to a higher category as long as it's the same rate or less than what you paid. After calling Carnival, they said that only VIFP members could do this... does that make any sense?

I found out about potential upgrades because another friend is showing interest in going so a call to Carnival was made and the price was lower than what we paid with a much much better category. We all booked a Category 4B Interior (Double Occupancy) for $947.94 with $75.00 OBC. The new cabin is quoted as Category 4H Interior for $9 11.94 with $75.00 OBC.

So the question is just that, is it correct that only VIFP members can upgrade after final payment? I'd like to get the entire group a little higher in the ship if possible but not all have sailed on Carnival before. Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks!

Every body is is a vifp even before they take their first cruise i thought?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

That was my understanding as well... it must be no upgrades unless you have sailed before... so must need to be a Red VIFP Member? Still doesn't make any sense that someone off the streets that has never sailed Carnival is offered a lower rate with a much higher category and they will only allow people that have sailed before an upgrade...

You need to read the rules regarding the rate booked. If it says no price protection or upgrades, That answers that. Everybody wants those protections but that's not what you're paying for when you book a special rate. In this it's on-board credit and an upgrade. It's hard to understand but rules are rules.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

If you get an answer from a rep and it doesn't make sense to you, it is definitely worth calling back to ask someone else (preferably without referencing your previous call). Different reps will often give different answers. Just be persistent and charming.

Good luck!

They will let you upgrade, as long as you are willing to pay more, even just $10 more. If the higher category room is lower priced than the price you paid, you might not be able to upgrade. (Some have been able to by calling and getting a helpful rep, but it's not policy, hence the "Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection..." part of the restrictions.)

They will let you upgrade, as long as you are willing to pay more, even just $10 more. If the higher category room is lower priced than the price you paid, you might not be able to upgrade. (Some have been able to by calling and getting a helpful rep, but it's not policy, hence the "Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection..." part of the restrictions.)

That' been my experience also. If you add $$ to your booking you can upgrade anytime but after final payment, no lateral moves or upgrades without $$.