Duty free exemption...

Anyone know the limit for duty free exemptions for travel to Mexico? We are cruising to Cozumel and Costa Maya next Feb. I believe it is $400 or $800 per person. I've already been to the US Dept. of State website but can't find the specific amount for the country of Mexico.

This is from the above link. I simply searched for Mexico Duty Free Exemption.

I find it interesting that the so called "duty free" shops aren't exactly duty free. It seems the purchases made in those shops have to be entered into you standard exemption amount.

Customs Declarations

You will receive a U.S. Customs and Border Protection declaration form (CBP Form 6059-B) on your flight or vessel before you return to the United States. You must fill out and sign the declaration form in its entirety. Families returning together may prepare a joint declaration. You must declare the total value of all articles acquired abroad and in your possession at the time you return. This includes articles you bought; gifts you received; repairs, or alterations made while you were out of the United States; and any items you brought home for someone else. (Items you intend to sell or use in a business must be declared separately.) If an item was not purchased, but was given to you, make an estimate of its fair retail value in the country in which it was acquired, and declare that amount when you return.

WARNING: If you understate the value of, or otherwise misrepresent, an article you have declared, you may be assessed penalties in addition to duty.

Standard Exemption

If you are a returning U.S. resident and the items you acquired abroad accompany you, your duty-free exemption is $800. This duty-free exemption may include:

• 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes. (Products of Cuban tobacco are prohibited entry into the United States unless the product was purchased in Cuba in accordance with Office of Foreign Assets Control Regulations [31 CFR 515.560].)

• One liter of wine, beer, or liquor if you are at least 21 years old.

However, the duty-free exemption is $600, if you are returning directly from a Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act country and the exemption is $1,200, if returning from American Samoa, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Articles imported in excess of your exemptions will be subject to duty. If your purchases and acquisitions exceed the allowable duty-free exemption plus $1,000, you must itemize in writing these purchases/acquisitions on the back of the declaration form. Sales slips, invoices, or other evidence of purchase will be helpful when you complete your declaration.

If you are visiting the United States, you may bring in personal effects duty free, including 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars and one liter of alcoholic beverages. You may bring in gifts up to $100 in value duty free, but alcohol and tobacco may not be included in the gift exemption. The prohibition on Cuban tobacco products applies to both visitors and returning U.S. residents.

Mailing Gifts and Purchases from Abroad

Gifts mailed from abroad to people in the United States can be received by them free of duty if the value of the gift does not exceed $100. Gifts for more than one person can be consolidated into one package. To be eligible for this waiver, each recipient’s name must be clearly marked on the package. Non-gift purchases mailed to the United States will pass duty-free if their value does not exceed $200. The outer wrapping must be marked with the fair retail value of the contents; a description of the contents (e.g., shirts, belts, watch, figurines, etc.); and whether the package is a gift ($100 exemption) or for personal use ($200 exemption).

NOTE: Duty owed on a mailed package must be paid after it arrives in the United States. Despite what a shop owner abroad may tell you, you cannot prepay duty. Mailed goods are not eligible for the duty-free exemption for U.S. residents.

Agricultural Items

To prevent the introduction of pests or crop disease into the U.S. food supply, all agricultural and food items brought into the United States must be declared. To learn more about what agricultural products can be brought into the United States, write to Quarantines, USDA-APHIS-PPQ at 301.734.8645 (plant) or 301.734.7885 (animal); or visit their Web site at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq.

Duty-Free Shops

Articles purchased in “duty-free” shops, or on a plane, or ship are subject to duty and other restrictions, but may be included in your exemption. Articles bought in American duty-free shops are subject to duty and IRS tax if reentered into the United States.

Thanks for breaking the silence premiumrican! I appreciate your reply. However, this website has exactly the same information as I've read on the other website but doesn't tell me specifically what amount my exemption will be returning from Mexico. It reads "Depending on the countries you have visited, your personal exemption will be $200, $800, or $1,600." Nowhere can I find a clear answer on which countries have the different amounts.

I was hoping someone who had just returned from a similar cruise to Mexican ports could answer with personal experience. Thanks anyway, I guess I'll just have to ask when we get onboard. No biggie.

Thanks again! I think you've answered my question! Now I know I can spend $800 in Mexico without having to pay duty to bring it back home. I sure wish things like this were spelled out in a more simple way. I was getting a headache trying to figure it all out.

Remember, that's $800 per person. If you have an SO that will be $1,600 total. In our case we had ourselves and two kids in the Caribbean, which I believe is $600 pp. In our case we could have brought in $2,400 between all of us. At least that was my understanding from what we were told at customs.

Archived