Day in Grand Cayman

kristy29

We are going to be there from 10-6. If we get FTTF and make it off on one of the first tenders, do you think we could rent a car and do Rum Point, plus also go for a visit to the Tortuga factory? How about a stop in Hell? I do not know where any of these places are in relation to each other.

We are going to be there from 10-6. If we get FTTF and make it off on one of the first tenders, do you think we could rent a car and do Rum Point, plus also go for a visit to the Tortuga factory? How about a stop in Hell? I do not know where any of these places are in relation to each other.

We rented from Cayman Auto on our first visit, and did not have FTTF. The lot is just a short walk from the pier and it took about 30 minutes to get our car. A few weeks ago we had FTTF and were off the ship on the first tender boat. Loads of time.

The drive to Rum Point is about 45 minutes from downtown. It's a very easy drive (aside from driving on the left and navigating the roundabouts) with only a couple of left turns to get to Rum Point. The road signage in Grand Cayman is easy to follow. On our days at Rum Point we always eat at Kaibo Beach Bar, just up the road from Rum Point. Highly recommend. Amazing view and great food. I'm salivating thinking about their curried fish.

We have never stopped at a Tortuga Factory, but I think there are 3 of them. Perhaps someone could chime in on locations. Rum cakes (both Tortuga and Blackbeard's) are available all over the port area, if you're just looking to purchase. You can buy Tortuga cakes on the ship as well.

Hell is in the opposite direction, north from downtown. It is not worth more than a 5 minute stop in my opinion. I would never suggest someone on a cruise stop go out of their way to head there. One of those 'I can say I've been there' kind of places. But we absolutely LOVED our tour of the east end/north side.

We used the maps in the Cayman Activity Guide during a two week stay on the island, and have been three times on cruise. Search Cayman Activity Guide, click maps and click the Grand Cayman map. You can see where Hell and Rum Point are.

There is also a thread on here called 'thinking of renting a car & self touring' that has some info that might interest you. It has a link to the driving tour we followed.

Enjoy!

Edited by CDNJehn