Port of Callao transport

smalltowner

Hello:

I will be in Callao for 3 nights on the Oceania Regatta in February 2014 (doing a back-to-back). Previously I have spent 4 nights in Lima, but was in a hotel in San Isidro. On that trip, I saw many of the main tourist sites in Lima, and loved the city. My husband and I walked everywhere, and never felt afraid or nervous, though we were dressed very low-key and wore no jewelry. This time, I'd like to spend an afternoon in the area of the Fortaleza Filipe Real (in Callao), and then 1 day seeing more of the historic centre of Lima and the Larco, and the other day at the Museo del Oro and the Museo de la Nacion, walking from one area to the other on both days in the city. I've been reading on this forum about the dangers at the port of Callao, and thinking about how I can arrange transport for the activities I wish to do. Much of the information I've found is quite dated, so I decided to put it out here again to see what might come up that's more recent.

From what I've read, it seems that the port provides a free shuttle from the dock to the port gate (is this at the location called "Terminal Maritimo" on Google Maps?), and then you have to go outside the gate to get a taxi. Is this the case, or are there taxis as you get off the ship? It looks so close to just go out the gates and walk over to the peninsula where the fort stands, but I'm afraid to not heed all the warnings on the destination forum. A taxi from the gate to the fort would only take about 5 minutes, I think. To go into the city, say to the Larco museum, I'd just get a taxi from wherever they are available, I guess. Then, I'm wondering, to return from Lima to the ship, do we have to get a particular type of taxi in order to get past the gates? Our other option would be to get the Stern store's free shuttle to and from Miraflores, and then a local taxi to and from the Stern store. It would be more time-consuming, but we're not trying to see everything in one day, so that wouldn't be a big issue. I don't really want to have a taxi wait all day for us, or take us between points where we'd prefer to walk.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I also posted on the South America destination forum, but this one seems more active. Any input will be appreciated.

Hello:

I will be in Callao for 3 nights on the Oceania Regatta in February 2014 (doing a back-to-back). Previously I have spent 4 nights in Lima, but was in a hotel in San Isidro. On that trip, I saw many of the main tourist sites in Lima, and loved the city. My husband and I walked everywhere, and never felt afraid or nervous, though we were dressed very low-key and wore no jewelry. This time, I'd like to spend an afternoon in the area of the Fortaleza Filipe Real (in Callao), and then 1 day seeing more of the historic centre of Lima and the Larco, and the other day at the Museo del Oro and the Museo de la Nacion, walking from one area to the other on both days in the city. I've been reading on this forum about the dangers at the port of Callao, and thinking about how I can arrange transport for the activities I wish to do. Much of the information I've found is quite dated, so I decided to put it out here again to see what might come up that's more recent.

From what I've read, it seems that the port provides a free shuttle from the dock to the port gate (is this at the location called "Terminal Maritimo" on Google Maps?), and then you have to go outside the gate to get a taxi. Is this the case, or are there taxis as you get off the ship? It looks so close to just go out the gates and walk over to the peninsula where the fort stands, but I'm afraid to not heed all the warnings on the destination forum. A taxi from the gate to the fort would only take about 5 minutes, I think. To go into the city, say to the Larco museum, I'd just get a taxi from wherever they are available, I guess. Then, I'm wondering, to return from Lima to the ship, do we have to get a particular type of taxi in order to get past the gates? Our other option would be to get the Stern store's free shuttle to and from Miraflores, and then a local taxi to and from the Stern store. It would be more time-consuming, but we're not trying to see everything in one day, so that wouldn't be a big issue. I don't really want to have a taxi wait all day for us, or take us between points where we'd prefer to walk.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I also posted on the South America destination forum, but this one seems more active. Any input will be appreciated.

We were in Callao in January. One MUST take the port shuttle from the ship to the gate....port authority mandate. There are taxis inside the gate (which are more expensive) and also outside the gate.

We had a Spanish speaking friend with us so we took a "cab" outside the port gate as we felt confident about the rate we negotiated. About half way through the ride, we realized this was NOT a cab but the person's personal car! YIKES....we were doing what we said we wouldn't do!! All's well that ends well but never again!

The next day we met our arranged tour guide/driver/van for a wonderful day at Pachamaca (sp?) and environs. The driver dropped us off at Panchitos for a late lunch and waited for us to return us to the ship.

I see that you want to wander and do your own thing but we suggest hiring a driver through Lima Mentor. Cynthia Caceres is the CEO and she is wonderful as are her drivers and guides. Seems you have seen some spots in Lima so you may not need a guide BUT, Cynthia's team can provide you with safe, clean, reliable transport. Just a suggestion....

We loved Peru....an amazing place with so much history and great food!

Have a wondrful time!!