Bio Bay at Fajardo Not Glowing Anymore?

featherw8

Has anyone here been there recently enough to comment about this? We are arriving in San Juan in 8 days and have a tour lined up.

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-ricos-glowing-lagoon-goes-nearly-dark-213756289.html

I was on the Jewel last week out of San Juan. I did not do Biobay, but I talked to a fellow cruiser who did. He went on Friday, November 8. He said that was amazing and exceeded his expectations. Hope this helps.

Due to some recent construction in the area near the biobay, surface runoff into the biobay has caused it to stop glowing. Due to this, the construction has been halted, and the biobay is making a slow recovery. Some of the tour companies have stopped operating. Some are operating at a reduced coast. There is still some minimal glow. This is temporary, as nature will take over and correct the situation. But there is no telling how long it will take for, or to what degree, the biobay will recover. It's a "wait and see" situation.

Due to some recent construction in the area near the biobay, surface runoff into the biobay has caused it to stop glowing. Due to this, the construction has been halted, and the biobay is making a slow recovery. Some of the tour companies have stopped operating. Some are operating at a reduced coast. There is still some minimal glow. This is temporary, as nature will take over and correct the situation. But there is no telling how long it will take for, or to what degree, the biobay will recover. It's a "wait and see" situation.

Such a shame this happened, and I don't mean just from a tourist's perspective. I hope the lagoon is able to recover.

We went last Wed night, Nov 27th and LOVED it! The tour operators said it was back about 60% and wouldn't take much longer to get back to 100%. Even with that it was an amazing sight. How many times are you going to be in a place to experience that?

We did the electric boat tour with Biobay and were glad we did. It was a 90 minute tour, cost the same as kayaking, with less work and more time to enjoy. We had a driver and a guide that told us about the bay, animal life and environment on the way out to the lagoon. They also pointed out several iguana that were in the trees over head with a spot light. Very cool. We passed so many kayaks and were glad we did it this way. It was pitch black out there, I don't know how they kept from running into each other. Of course we were traveling with my 80 year old mom and an 8 year old so the boat made more sense for us.

Because we were in the boat we were able to go out to the far side of the lagoon into some darker areas. When we first swished the sticks they gave us in the water, it looked like flakes of glitter or "pixie dust" as my grandaughter called it. But once you put your whole hand in the water and swished ... it was glowing and very bright!!

I would definitely recommend!

KatyGal, how far in advance did you book? You've convinced us the electric boat is the way to go. Since our cruise isn't until June, it seems early now, but we don't want to miss out!

Because we were in the boat we were able to go out to the far side of the lagoon into some darker areas. When we first swished the sticks they gave us in the water, it looked like flakes of glitter or "pixie dust" as my grandaughter called it. But once you put your whole hand in the water and swished ... it was glowing and very bright!!

I would definitely recommend!

We booked on October 2. They have three booking times each night. Maximum of 6 to a boat.

KatyGal. Thanks for the BioBay info. :) We were thinking of doing the kayaking but have read several comments about the kayaks being too crowded together, and are leaning toward the electric boat. Do you have a link or what is the name of the company you used? Thanks~Claudia

We were just there on our own for a week of vacation so we had a car. Not sure what the transportation options are.

Guess I just assumed(and you know what they say about that;))you were there on a cruise. Will contact the company. Thanks~Claudia