QM2: Table Choice in Britania

gracecarmo

Now that we have made final payment for our Westbound crossing in Oct. I asked my TA about table choices. She said that she called Cunard and they said that you have to select your table once you board the ship.

Is this correct? I always thought table choices were requested and assigned prior to the cruise.

Is there a good table to request?

Thanks, Grace

Now that we have made final payment for our Westbound crossing in Oct. I asked my TA about table choices. She said that she called Cunard and they said that you have to select your table once you board the ship.

Is this correct? I always thought table choices were requested and assigned prior to the cruise.

Is there a good table to request?

Thanks, Grace

Hi Grace

We have requested a table for 4 on the 2nd sitting. Having booked the first day of the 2005 brochure going on sale I hope we have a good chance of getting what we requested. I presume that when you first board you check out your table number and if you aren't happy with it you then speak to the Maitre D to see if you can be moved. As I have never been on QM2 before, I don't really know the rules, but this is what I would do on P & O. All part of the excitement!!!!!! Paid our balance over a week ago. Also if you e mail me at elaine61@fsmail.net I will tell you about a letter I received earlier this week about our small problem!!!!!!

Elaine

Elaine, you are quite correct - it's the same proceedure as on most cruise lines.

Grace, your TA is selling you a bum steer on this one - call Cunard direct with your reservation number and request a table size and sitting of your choice.

Ken

Elaine is right. You can request your "time preference" when booking, but you can go and select the specific table once you are on board.

Is there a "good" table? Sure.....but which one depends on your preferences. Do you perfer a quiet corner? By the window? Intimate and small...meaning downstairs under the ceiling. Down, looking upstairs thru the opening in the ceiling to the second floor? Up, looking down? See....lots of considerations to find your perfect table.

Kevinsac: Our preference at first was a table beneath the big ship tapestry. Then someone on a BB said that there is a stage and band playing nearby and it might be a bit noisy for conversation.

Now, my preference would be a table for 6 overlooking the lower central dining area (along the railing). We have had tables all over on previous sailings, some good, some wonderful, and at other times some not so desirable...like in traffic patterns.

Guess I may just call Cunard myself....Thanks to all for suggestions.

Grace

Intimate and small...meaning downstairs under the ceiling.

Kevinsac

Do you think that my son may find the tables downstairs under the ceiling a bit claustrophobic being 6ft 5in tall????

Elaine

Has anyone ever been unhappy with the table they have been assigned and if so how difficult was it to get moved???

Elaine

Oh yes....DESPITE a TA request for 'Table for 2', DESPITE calling Cunard in CA to confirm table for 2, we were assigned a table for 6 & the Maitre'D said we'd asked for a table for eight. We were then assigned a table next to the servery for the first night, so when the Assistant Maitre'D asked if 'everything was OK?' he got both barrels, and apologised for the table saying they 'don't normally put people on that table as the location was so poor'. We were then assigned a table for 2 in an ok location but with very good wait staff - so were happy for the rest of the trip. HOWEVER, that table was also free on the first night - so basically the Maitre 'D had lied. Moral of the story is don't be fobbed off, and if your first assigned table is not ok, don't accept anything until you are happy.

Peter

We requested a table for 2 and actually provided a table number- on the lower level where we had been seated before- not a fabulous seat but it brought back memories! When we got on board despite asking our TA for a table for 2 and despite emailing cunard who said they would request it we got given a table for 6 on the upper level. We immediately spoke to the maitre de who moved us to a table for 2 which we were very pleased about- but it wasnt a fab table - lots of staff walking back and forth to the kitchens- but we were glad to at least have the table for two. Funnily enough the table we requested was empty for 4 of the meals and seeing as we had requested it so far in advance we had hoped we would have been assigned to it- but no luck!

Archived