Merida - what's on the must see/do list?

Jday

We're going to take the bus into Merida from Progreso in December when we sail Carnival Elation. This is our fun shopping day before Christmas for me and 10-year-old DD. Looking for recommendations on stores, museums, best buys, good eats, must sees, etc. And of course anything we should avoid.

JDay

Boy I'd love this information too. I've 'virtually' walked around the square using Google Earth; there looks to be a ton of stores and shops and architecturally interesting buildings. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, exploring Merida by myself, and would love to know a good lunch spot.

I posted a map below of the Plaza Mayor area in Merida where you are heading. If you look at the bottom left of the map, you'll see where the public bus drops you off. There is plenty to see in the Plaza Mayor from the cathedral to the various museums that surround the square. You could also spend time there just people watching and relaxing. When you first arrive, head over to the the "Informacion" stand. There are two in the plaza, both can be identified by their large blue "I". Here you can get maps, directions, and information on anything in the area.

There is plenty of shopping in the plaza, but for more serious shopping, so to speak, head about two blocks southeast to the "Bazaar de Artesanias" area. Its on the lower right side of the map. In this area you will find store and stand after another selling local goods as well as designer and designed knockoffs. Looking at the map you may want to head there first after leaving the bus station.

For lunch my wife and I really enjoyed La Chaya, which is located on Calle 62, about two blocks north of the plaza. Also El Trapiche is a good inexpensive family place, it is also on Calle 62 about a half block north. Both are on the left hand side of the street.

After lunch take your DD for a treat, Helados Colon has the best ice cream and sorbet around. Its located on the Plaza, under arches, on Calle 61 near the corner of Calle 62.

Only other advice is to bring small bills ($1's, $5's, and $10's, maybe a couple of $20's), if possible or you'll get a lot of pesos for change. Don't count on smaller places taking a credit card.

Have a great time!

Merida%2520Map.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Great info, Pacific and OvertheHill, thanks!

I know enough Spanish to order a beer and find a bathroom; did you find that many/any shop owners knew much English? I've got a small fistful of pesos and some Christmas shopping to knock out!

So how did it go? We will be there in March and thinking about going into Merida. Did you take the public bus or the AP bus? What did you take in while you were there? Did you have any issues with the language barrier?

Thanks!

We got a private cab right at the ship for $70 total round trip for all four of us...I would do AP if you decide on a bus..

So how did it go? We will be there in March and thinking about going into Merida. Did you take the public bus or the AP bus? What did you take in while you were there? Did you have any issues with the language barrier?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I made it, took the AP bus and walked around the square. I guess I was a little surprised at how hustling/bustling it was. I knew it was a big city, but I guess I didn't expect it to feel like walking around downtown Chicago or NYC...but it did. Every once in a while I'd have to "pull over" up against a storefront and survey the area, pick a target and fight the crowd to get there. I did walk through several stores but nothing piqued my interest; mostly what I saw where clothes/shoes, and returning a wrong size would have been a booger. :D I ate lunch near the square, and did have to ask a police officer for directions back to the bus station; in both cases language was a barrier but with pointing and smiles we got through it.

The bus ride to Merida was pleasant, and I enjoyed seeing the area between Progreso and Merida. But the bus ride back was less than pleasant. I sat in the very front right behind the driver, and we left the station with a few empty seats. But the driver stopped at every busstop along the way to the port, and pretty soon I had butts in my face and felt a smidge claustraphobic with all the standing passengers packed in like sardines. There was a solid (non-see-through) divider behind the driver, and the lady in the window seat had the curtain pulled, so I couldn't see anything but butts and backpacks for some time.

Overall I'm glad I went, but I don't see wanting to go back again, especially not as a solo. I always felt safe (except when I got too close to the sidewalk edge, cars zooming past me), and there was some facinating architecture to behold. But it wasn't the shopping jackpot I'd hoped for.