Changing your room

danh78

We took our first cruise last April and I managed to win a free 7-day Caribbean cruise. The cruise was for an inside room, and we could upgrade to a balcony.

We wanted a midship balcony on a lower deck (like 9-10) because that's what we had last time. That category was not available because it was a "Guaranteed Room". And the best they could give us was deck 13 near the front. My question is, if there are rooms mid-ship on a lower deck closer to sailing date, is it easy to change?

She struggles a little while motion sickness, we read those are the best rooms for that so since she did ok last time, we'd rather not chance it.

That depends on who is handling your booking . If rooms are available it should be easy .. Call whom ever booked it for you and tell them exactly what you are looking for.NCL has always been very good about moving you "when possible " ..

Let us know. ;)

Edited by mpk218

We took our first cruise last April and I managed to win a free 7-day Caribbean cruise. The cruise was for an inside room, and we could upgrade to a balcony.

We wanted a midship balcony on a lower deck (like 9-10) because that's what we had last time. That category was not available because it was a "Guaranteed Room". And the best they could give us was deck 13 near the front. My question is, if there are rooms mid-ship on a lower deck closer to sailing date, is it easy to change?

She struggles a little while motion sickness, we read those are the best rooms for that so since she did ok last time, we'd rather not chance it.

You are asking for a cabin in prime releastate. I would set my sights lower. If you asked for the lowest floor mid-ship balcony you would probably get it especially if you told them why you are requesting it. After all, low, mid-ship and a balcony to see the horizon and get some fresh air is pretty much where they would suggest someone with seasickness stay.

You are asking for a cabin in prime releastate. I would set my sights lower. If you asked for the lowest floor mid-ship balcony you would probably get it especially if you told them why you are requesting it. After all, low, mid-ship and a balcony to see the horizon and get some fresh air is pretty much where they would suggest someone with seasickness stay.

I did all that, 13 was what she said I could I have. She originally said a room on 14, I asked if there was anything lower and closer to the middle of the ship..."Guaranteed Rate" blah blah..."How about room 13030, it's near the elevator". I was on the website and I'd find a room and was told because it was whatever category, I couldn't have it.

I guess I'll just wait until it gets closer to sailing and see if I can get a different room

I did all that, 13 was what she said I could I have. She originally said a room on 14, I asked if there was anything lower and closer to the middle of the ship..."Guaranteed Rate" blah blah..."How about room 13030, it's near the elevator". I was on the website and I'd find a room and was told because it was whatever category, I couldn't have it.

I guess I'll just wait until it gets closer to sailing and see if I can get a different room

Were your upgrades free of charge? If so then perhaps it's time to ask how much it would cost to upgrade to a cabin that you would like.

Were your upgrades free of charge? If so then perhaps it's time to ask how much it would cost to upgrade to a cabin that you would like.

The prize was for an inside room, I paid the difference between the price of an inside cabin and the balcony room.

Maybe it's different for experienced cruisers, but the whole room category when it's the same size room is pretty confusing to me. :confused: Every time I asked for a room on a lower deck near midship I was told that category wasn't available to upgrade on a "Bingo Prize" (I won the trip at the final bingo day of the cruise) for one reason or another.

The prize was for an inside room, I paid the difference between the price of an inside cabin and the balcony room.

Maybe it's different for experienced cruisers, but the whole room category when it's the same size room is pretty confusing to me. :confused: Every time I asked for a room on a lower deck near midship I was told that category wasn't available to upgrade on a "Bingo Prize" (I won the trip at the final bingo day of the cruise) for one reason or another.

Yes there are even different categories for inside cabins. Many people don't understand why on earth anyone would upgrade to an inside in another location. Some people like to be by the elevators, some like mid-ship for stability reasons. Some like to be by the pool and others avoid being directly below the pool deck area due to noise. I like the ends of the ship because I find that there is less foot traffic. I also like to have a shop below me and cabins above me or have cabins above and below me because I don't like late night or early morning noise. Like I said in my first post it really does sound like you are asking for a cabin in prime realestate. You know what they say...location, location, location. I would call again and maybe you will get a different answer this time. Good Luck.:)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any luck changing rooms the day the cruise leaves? I called the other day, even though several categories showed availability, I was told all the room were "guaranty rate" so I was not eligible. I just asked for lower and closer to the middle, didn't ask for any specific deck or room.

If there are rooms unsold, do they allow you to change when you are checking in?

She has her sea-bands, and got a prescription for the patch, so hopefully if we can't change rooms she'll be ok.

Assuming you're on the Epic, I'd stay with 13030. It has an extra-large balcony as it's on the bump-out.

I'd specifically booked that cabin the last time I sailed the Epic for that reason. Then the upsell fairy called, so I didn't end up in that cabin, but I'd be thrilled if I were you.

If she only struggles "a little" with motion sickness, she should be fine (especially getting the patch and the seabands).

You most likely won't get a change the day of. But here is a possibity: Try to get a cabin as close to the middle at the AFT of the ship. There is less movement towards the back than the front. I think it is usually a "BC" cabin. That may work for you. When we can't get middle, we will move back. Guarantee could be a wonderfuly surprise or a nightmare. If where you are EVER matters, never go with guarantee.

This would be my suggestion...pay the difference to get the location you prefer.

We were in 11039 on the Epic, and while it was forward and I was concerned about it after being in a VERY forward cabin on an RCCL cruise a few years ago in rough seas, we felt very little motion even one evening when the seas were a little choppier. I had SeaBands, ginger, Bonine, etc., and didn't need anything, but it was in my suitcase just in case. It's such a large ship, and if she has the SeaBands or anything, hopefully all will be well. :-)

Enjoy your cruise!

This would be my suggestion...pay the difference to get the location you prefer.

Tried that. Because it's a "Bingo Cruise" they don't allow you to upgrade to anything that is marked as a "Guaranty Rate/category".

I already paid for the upgrade from an inside room to the balcony room

Tried that. Because it's a "Bingo Cruise" they don't allow you to upgrade to anything that is marked as a "Guaranty Rate/category".

I already paid for the upgrade from an inside room to the balcony room

We realize that but some balcony cabins cost more than others. People are suggesting you ask if you can get what you want with an additional fee. But it sounds like the categories you want are guarantee only, which usually means those cabins are sold out.