Travel Agent or Direct Booking?

TheYearofMe

Hi All!

I need some advice. I booked my cruise directly through DCL and my mother and sister decided to book through a large agency. To be honest, I love the women I am speaking with at DCL. They are so knowledgeable and helpful. I just love them. On the other hand the agent at the large agency got all of my mother's information wrong to start with. She was supposed to call me to get my reservation moved to her and it took two and a half weeks for her to call me. That really put me off.

My quandary is this: Will I have problems coordinating our specialty dining and later, our WDW dining reservations for all 8 of us if I do not use my mother's agent? Will I have problems coordinating other activities? I just don't trust my mother's agent, however, I am the point person for making reservations and all plans... will splitting up our reservations between dealing direct with Disney and this other agent be a problem? BTW, my mother won't budge, she is convinced she will get great perks from this large agency.. I say knowledge and service is my first priority!

Thanks in advance!

Patti

As long as you have her reservation number, when you call DCL they can link her reservation to yours as a traveling with party. You'll be able to book dining, excursions, etc without issue even if you don't go through her agency to book it.

As far as WDW is, again you'll need her reservation number. They can link the two. When booking dining on property you'd just have to let the res agent know you're including that reservation in the dining booking party. Again shouldn't be an issue.

Just be advised the travel agent would have visibility, and not that they would do anything...but they are able to modify if requested to.

Edited by telynch25

There should be no problem coordinating the reservations. The key is that someone will need to have both reservation numbers and request to have them "fully linked." This means that you will be seated together for dinner, but also that you will have access to each others reservations on line (to make adult dining, excursion, etc. arrangements.)

I LOVE my travel agent, but it sounds like you mother is not dealing with one of the best. Be very sure that all payments are made to DCL, not to the name of the agency! Not saying that she is not using a reputable agency, but there have been some reported bad situations. A good agent processes the payment, but all payments go directly to the cruise line.

A good agent can be worth their weight in gold. A bad one is nothing but a pain!

Hi All!

I need some advice. I booked my cruise directly through DCL and my mother and sister decided to book through a large agency. To be honest, I love the women I am speaking with at DCL. They are so knowledgeable and helpful. I just love them. On the other hand the agent at the large agency got all of my mother's information wrong to start with. She was supposed to call me to get my reservation moved to her and it took two and a half weeks for her to call me. That really put me off.

Patti

Run away. Run away as fast as you can. This TA will bring you nothing but grief. They are either disorganized or they don't care about your business. Either one can wreck your vacation.

There are a lot of TAs out there and they are hungry for your business in that the Internet is killing the TA business model. Shop around and find a good one.

Edited by Host Mick

Ditto what the others said. Just to add some things I have learned over the years: Some "TAs" are "cruise bookers" and not true TAs. Essentially they have never been on a cruise themselves or working towards their CLIA accreditation, but work for a large company to enter data and read you the amenities from a computer screen. I have spoken to one before because a big box company was offering many perks and knew I could go that route being experienced myself. I hung up the phone and told my husband that person was totally clueless. Another TA I know personally has never been on a cruise at all. She will text me cruise questions at times that really make me wonder... No CLIA courses, no cruise experience. There is also a difference when one says "I've been on that ship" versus "I've cruised on that ship". A two hour tour of a ship in port plus lunch does not mirror an actual cruise experience IMHO. Most will be Honest and say "I've cruised on other ships with that cruise line but not that specific ship, but here are my observations and current data why this ship and itinerary might be a good fit for what you and your family are looking for" and truly explore the various possibilities to fit the family's needs.

There are many GOOD ones out there for sure but there are definitely a few that don't have the knowledge and service you would want or expect, which sounds like what the OP's relatives may be experiencing unfortunately..

In the past years we have lerned to us a travel agent

We have used the same person all the time and we have found that she looks after us all the time

As far as price some times the 800# have the best deals she dose try to match if she can

Rember you get what you pay for

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Also, remember that you are "buying" both the agency and the agent. A good agent with a bad agency will do what she can for you, but it is so much easier to have both being excellent.

At the minimum, I look for an agent who has cruised the line that I'm interested in within the last few years, has many years as an agent with the same agency, and communicates the way I want to. This may be an 800 number, e-mail, or snail mail--bottom line, it should be what works for ME, not what is easiest for them! And I like "extended" hours with evening and weekend availability with someone at the agency--not just 9-5 which might not fit my schedule.

Yes, there are great ones out there, but there are also some real duds! Choose carefully.