New to RCCL - Review: Freedom of the Seas, Nov. 17

unc1acc

Great Review! Freedom is a great ship and I am going to have to go on her again one day!

As a fellow North Carolinian I know that was exciting to be able to watch that Panthers game. I would have been right out there with you! :cool:

Watching the Panthers on the high seas was really cool. Even better getting to see them WIN! There were a few other Panther fans out by the pool too.

Thanks - We were on FOS in February when my son was granted a wish from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Reading the post makes me remember the fun we had and can't wait for the 29th!

I do have one question, our past cruises have been more port intensive and this time we have an even 3 port days and 3 sea days. Do you have any tips for avoiding lineups at meal time etc.:cool:

We always tried to do meals at the Windjammer at 'off' times. So for example, we'd eat at 11:30a or wait till 1:30p or so for lunch. I'll say though, I never recall lines at Windjammer as long as when entering you stayed to the left. Haha. Seating, if you were looking for more than 4 people could be tough.

Obviously, on sea days, if you want a chair by the main pool (not kids area), you'll need to get there early. I had no problem finding a chair in other areas, including my relaxing spot at the back of the ship behind the flow rider. This was my first cruise that had the half sea days/half ports.

Thank you so much for posting your reviews! I'l be sailing with RCCL for the first time on Freedom in January. Would it be possible to get copies of the cruise compasses? It looks like we'll be doing the same itinerary as you, but in reverse!

Sure, I'll be happy to get those posted. I'll scan tomorrow and try to post on here or you can send me a message and I will email directly.

unc1acc...has to be University of North Carolina 1 Atlantic Coast Conference... only someone from NC would know what those letters stand for!! Thank you for sharing your trip....

I am from Knightdale!! Taught at East Wake Middle School....

You are absolutely correct! :D I live in Raleigh (originally from Statesville) and graduated from Carolina.

We always tried to do meals at the Windjammer at 'off' times. So for example, we'd eat at 11:30a or wait till 1:30p or so for lunch. I'll say though, I never recall lines at Windjammer as long as when entering you stayed to the left. Haha. Seating, if you were looking for more than 4 people could be tough.

Obviously, on sea days, if you want a chair by the main pool (not kids area), you'll need to get there early. I had no problem finding a chair in other areas, including my relaxing spot at the back of the ship behind the flow rider. This was my first cruise that had the half sea days/half ports.

Sure, I'll be happy to get those posted. I'll scan tomorrow and try to post on here or you can send me a message and I will email directly.

This is my first post. I have been lurking. Thanks for the great review. I will be on FOS in January same cruise just opposite route. Can you please send me the compass?

Thanks

OP

We were on this cruise with you and stayed for the one after. Best part of 100 people stayed onboard. You def got the best of it all on the 17th Cruise.

Weather the 1st week was top notch and so was the entertainment bar the last night's comedian. Ice show was dissapointing, seen better on RCI and they only do the one show. Other ships have 2 over the week. Agree Coco Cay was lovely.

Thought Richard Spacey was excellent week 1 till he repeated every joke and one liner in week 2, same act same jokes so boring and that was a letdown. One trick pony. Dancing in the Streets was average at best, we have seen much better.

The sexist man was indeed a fellow Scotsman who tried for a back to back win the next week wearing his kilt poolside but failed - entertaining though.

Weather week 2 was poor - first Sea Day we were all kept indoors due to high winds and rain - over 1000 kids trapped inside Freedom desperate for fun and our Cruise Director was awol.

i.m.o Great Ship, very good food and some excellent headliner acts/ Shows and for everyone Freedom is well worth considering for a cruise.

ps, We just did not get Matt Yee's act at all but it was standing room only and that tells it's own story.

Absolutely great review , We embark on Freedom in 5 days for a b2b and can not wait.

We are going to the Caribbean for the first time and we are taking our own snorkling gear.

Have you got any tips ?

I believe on Cococay there is a section where they have sunken things to have a swim round but we are unsure if you can go and have a look at theses without hiring their snorkle gear as they say you have to have a safety vest on?

any help would be great but regardless loving the review.

This is my first post. I have been lurking. Thanks for the great review. I will be on FOS in January same cruise just opposite route. Can you please send me the compass?

Thanks

What sailing? I will be on the Jan 12th sailing, which is doing the route backwards. Sounds like we might be there together!

Hi! Thanks for posting your review! I'm sailing Freedom in Jan 26th too- would you mind posting your compasses or copying me in too? Your tips for Barefoot Beach were great. What's the secret way to the helipad? Was it windy there at sailaway?

By the way, I'm from Raleigh too. Went to middle school downtown Raleigh and high school in Garner. My sister now works at the UNC library. Small world!

Glad you had a nice trip!