Private or small reef snorkel tour in Belize

iowahawks

We cruise to Belize on Carnival Conquest and want to snorkel the reef there. I hate the big groups and am looking for a private or smaller snorkel trip that is eco oriented if possible. Not really interested in sharks or stingrays just the reef. There are about 10 of us going and we don't mind joining another group I just don't like the party/cattle boats. We range from experienced to moderately experienced but watch out for each other.

3 main questions;

1) What are the best places to go that are not horribly crowded?

2) Who offers the best tours or private trips?

3) Is there anything or places we should stay away from? I have heard Belize is less safe than some other areas.

Thanks,

Lucy

• 3 weeks later...

For Belize, it's a long tender from ship to the cruise terminal and there isn't much to do right there (at the cruise terminal).

You'll need to go on an excursion. Some people go to Cay Caulker.

Last time we were there, 4 of us flew to San Pedro at Ambergris Cay. From there I went on a dive trip while my wife and another couple went on a snorkeling trip. It was a great snorkeling trip for them, as they saw lots of stingrays and sharks. The coral reef is very healthy with good colors and lots of fish.

Check out http://seasportsbelize.com

We used them for diving last week and they were wonderful! They had us walk a few blocks to their shop after tendering ashore but dropped us right back on the pier after our dives. The lunch provided was a wonderful Caribbean chicken and rice and beans that was huge. None of us even made a dent in the rice and beans!

They are used to dealing with cruise ship passengers and I had no doubt that they would get us back to the ship before the last tender. We were back on the ship after tendering about 3:30 and the last tender was at 4:45.

• 2 weeks later...
We cruise to Belize on Carnival Conquest and want to snorkel the reef there. I hate the big groups and am looking for a private or smaller snorkel trip that is eco oriented if possible. Not really interested in sharks or stingrays just the reef. There are about 10 of us going and we don't mind joining another group I just don't like the party/cattle boats. We range from experienced to moderately experienced but watch out for each other.

3 main questions;

1) What are the best places to go that are not horribly crowded?

2) Who offers the best tours or private trips?

3) Is there anything or places we should stay away from? I have heard Belize is less safe than some other areas.

Thanks,

Lucy

Hi Lucy ,A couple of years ago we (4) booked a tour with a gentleman named Mario on Caye Caulker. it was wonderful .we had to take a water taxi from belize city and then when we got there he was supposed to meet us at the dock ,he wasn't there but the other guys around said Mario was in his office. so we had to find him and he is definitely on island time .we had a wonderful time and got some great pictures. we have one where he fed the stingrays and off to the side was a barracuda just waiting and watching . Belize is one of our favorite places .