Tipping on-board Carnival Breeze

Superstargum

WOW , such difference in opinions on tipping. My opinion and mine only. Keep in mind i have taken over 15 cruises with different lines. I have never ever taken off a tip but have added extra but that being said i have yet to receive bad service in the areas which included tipping.

That being said if i had a cabin steward that was disrespectful or did not do his job without nit picking not changing dirty sheets and leaving dirty dishes all the time and not doing the minimal required i would definitely remove or reduce the tip (he did not earn it). However small stuff like ice and vacuming and special request being overlooked i dont really care about too much but the tip would not be increased.

As for service for dining the first fee is for your direct waiter the second i consider for the assistant and the guy picking up at the buffet or pizza maker and burrito maker etc.. Unless the service is terrible same thing goes the tip remains and keep in mind i had a waiter drop a whole blue specialty drink on my husband white shirt and suit and we kept the tip on. Now if the food is cold and you send it back and its cold again almost every time and you have to get up to get water or look for the waiter for service for over 15 minutes yea would consider a reduction but it has never happened. We almost always tip 20% on all dinners.

So technically yes it is called a tip and you should never give a tip for bad service but bad service and expecting people to be at your beck and call are two different thing you have to keep in mind they work hard and have long hours and if that person was your mom, son, daughter or dad would you show them the same disrespect as to take off a tip just because they were not perfect, your answer should be NO but if not keep in mind that what goes around comes around.So think about it.

Well I agree and disagree with certain aspects but no matter what I say or explain from my past experiences and where I come from will matter because you all are comparing the wages/tips and overall work environment to the US. If I only look at it from a perspective of a person from the US and your comparing everything to how things are run here then I must agree you are correct. So a person from a different country where TIP'ing in general is unheard of except our TIP'ing customs? Should they accept it for what it is when they have lived 40-50 years in a country that doesnt practice this?

The simple way to fix this is just jack up the prices of cruises and include it in the price of the fare. Oh wait if they do that the Cruise lines may lose business? It's a horrible business practice and like I said before it only hurts the employees and Im aware of that. I will probably start looking for cruise liner that include all service charges in their price in the future.

Oh and for the individuals that think the employees have it bad should research the great opportunities they are missing out on if they would of taken the jobs available to them close to home and family. Humans do what is necessary to make it in life. Some people have harder decisions to make then others. This is a decision they made for themselves to better their families lives. It is a choice they made and honestly knowing the average male in the phillipines makes $150 US dollars a month working 12+ hr shift at a factory... do the math and tell me they have it bad? I have family members that work in such conditions and it is what it is... They would kill to have a job on a cruise boat but not everyone is so "lucky" at least from their perspective.

So with all that said I will pay the autotipping and extra is warranted. I overlooked the behind the scene personnel that I would miss if I would tip in cash. Thank you for all the advice given and all advice was well taken and still seeping in.

Also my apologize if I have offended anyone in the process. We all have our differences I suppose.

Happy Cruising to all!

yes they should. just as as person who comes from a tipping culture who visits a country with a non tipping culture should not tip where he/she normally would. when in rome..