Sailing Getaway, flying into FLL, and trying to secure a Vibe pass

joeski27

So in early March we're thinking of booking a sailing on the Getaway, and having sailed Breakaway last May one thing we can say is that one of our favorite features (if not #1) was the Vibe Beach Club. We bought a week pass for it (though we could only use it for a couple of days due to weather), but we absolutely loved it. It is really one of the features that is drawing us to do another Breakaway-class sailing, so much so that if we were unable to secure a pass for it we'd be extremely disappointed.

So here is our predicament: we were initially planning to fly down the day before using Southwest (cheap) into FLL, get a hotel near FLL, then a taxi to the Port of Miami early the next morning. Obviously we'd be spending extra $$ for all this, but what can you do. But now I'm thinking, what if we just skipped the cheap flight, but flew down the day of the cruise on an extra early flight (maybe get into MIA around 9am from Philly), and then just make a b-line to the port from MIA.

Anybody have any thoughts on which would be the better option? Like I said, I will do whatever it takes so that we secure a Vibe pass, come hell or high water. Failure is not an option! :cool:

IMO, trying to fly in the day of, even to Miami instead of FLL, is just too risky.

We are flying out to FLL on Friday for Epic, and a major snow/ice storm in the west later this week may throw a monkey wrench in the plans of many of my fellow Epic cruise mates. Even in March, there can be snowstorms, or flight delays, cancellations due to other reasons.

I recommend keeping your plan of flying into FLL the day before. But instead of staying the night there, book a shuttle from FLL to a Miami hotel, and taxi to the pier the next am. A taxi FLL to Miami will be pricey. We have done the shuttle several times. $$ is $20 or less per person, usually dependent of the number of people. They will pick you up at the pier after the cruise for the return to FLL if you want.

If you want the Vibe pass, you need to be in the first boarding group.

IMO, trying to fly in the day of, even to Miami instead of FLL, is just too risky.

We are flying out to FLL on Friday for Epic, and a major snow/ice storm in the west later this week may throw a monkey wrench in the plans of many of my fellow Epic cruise mates. Even in March, there can be snowstorms, or flight delays, cancellations due to other reasons.

I recommend keeping your plan of flying into FLL the day before. But instead of staying the night there, book a shuttle from FLL to a Miami hotel, and taxi to the pier the next am. A taxi FLL to Miami will be pricey. We have done the shuttle several times. $$ is $20 or less per person, usually dependent of the number of people. They will pick you up at the pier after the cruise for the return to FLL if you want.

If you want the Vibe pass, you need to be in the first boarding group.

Thanks very much for the tips. Yeah we typically like going down the day before as a rule, especially in the winter-ish months.

So regarding the shuttle from FLL to a Miami hotel, are you referring to something like SAS or similar service? I had thought of this sort of hybrid FLL idea after my initial post, and it might actually be the best option. Either way, I want to put together a plan that will not just give me a "chance" at the Vibe pass, but that would assure that I am either the first or second boarding group. I don't want to take any chances at all, as I'd be p*ssed if we didn't get a pass. On that note though, what is the earliest that those 4pm sailings (like Epic) start boarding? Or in other words, what is the absolute earliest we can get to the port assuming we stayed in Miami the night before? That would be the most critical part of the whole deal.

Yes, SAS is often recommended and we have used them, but I believe they will no longer take you to a hotel in Miami as they did in the past, only to the cruise pier. This time we booked with MJS Trans on recommendations here. Look for Gomjstrans on the web. $39 down to Miami for 2 people and return will probably be $13 per person.

Maybe someone else can chime in on what time they usually start boarding. I would say 10:30 to 11:30. I doubt you will get a pass if you are not in the first group called to board based on what I read here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are usually gone 15 to 20 minutes after boarding starts. They only sell 40 or 50. I'd get to the pier at 9:00 if you can. Good luck!

Maybe someone else can chime in on what time they usually start boarding. I would say 10:30 to 11:30. I doubt you will get a pass if you are not in the first group called to board based on what I read here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are usually gone 15 to 20 minutes after boarding starts. They only sell 40 or 50. I'd get to the pier at 9:00 if you can. Good luck!

Again thanks for the info. Heck I'd be at the pier at 8am if I have to. I'd even consider paying someone an extra hundred bucks if I knew they'd be there early enough and could secure the passes for me. Though I don't think that would work since the pass access is put on your room card. But I'd still pay double for it if I could get it in advance (I know, it's not possible) as I'd save at least that much rather than having to fly down the day before and get a hotel room. At any rate it looks like I've got some planning to do. And here I thought this was going to be a simpler, more stress free cruise compared to the last couple we've taken. Guess not!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by joeski27

Yes, SAS is often recommended and we have used them, but I believe they will no longer take you to a hotel in Miami as they did in the past, only to the cruise pier. This time we booked with MJS Trans on recommendations here. Look for Gomjstrans on the web. $39 down to Miami for 2 people and return will probably be $13 per person.

We have a confirmation from SAS to transport us from FLL to our hotel near Port of Miami on 12/12.

I do think it may be true that they do not go to all areas of Miami.

"Shuttle Service from FLL Airport (Fort Lauderdale, Broward County)*

to the Port of Miami and Downtown Area Miami Hotels

We are a Ft. Lauderdale based company and because of Permit Restrictions we cannot offer Miami to Miami Trips*

So in early March we're thinking of booking a sailing on the Getaway, and having sailed Breakaway last May one thing we can say is that one of our favorite features (if not #1) was the Vibe Beach Club. We bought a week pass for it (though we could only use it for a couple of days due to weather), but we absolutely loved it. It is really one of the features that is drawing us to do another Breakaway-class sailing, so much so that if we were unable to secure a pass for it we'd be extremely disappointed.

So here is our predicament: we were initially planning to fly down the day before using Southwest (cheap) into FLL, get a hotel near FLL, then a taxi to the Port of Miami early the next morning. Obviously we'd be spending extra $$ for all this, but what can you do. But now I'm thinking, what if we just skipped the cheap flight, but flew down the day of the cruise on an extra early flight (maybe get into MIA around 9am from Philly), and then just make a b-line to the port from MIA.

Anybody have any thoughts on which would be the better option? Like I said, I will do whatever it takes so that we secure a Vibe pass, come hell or high water. Failure is not an option! :cool:

Don't fly in the day of. We had snow last year in March (remember??). Fly in the day before. We also fly into FLL when we are sailing out of Miami. Check out limos dot com. I got a rate from our FLL hotel to the port of miami for $65, including the tip, and they will pick you up whatever time you tell them. I think it's cheaper than a cab.

Fly into FLL the day before and book a hotel near the cruise port. You can do SAS, or if you're up for an adventure and you're traveling light, you can take the tri-rail to miami, transfer to the metrorail, and then take the free metromover to within a block or two of your hotel.

My #1 choice for hotels near the port is the Intercontinental Miami. You can normally score a pretty good deal through expedia/travelocity/LMT We just stayed at the River Park Hotel and Suites last week. It's dated, but it's safe, clean, and convenient. You'd be looking at a $10 cab ride from either hotel.

Fly into FLL the day before and book a hotel near the cruise port. You can do SAS, or if you're up for an adventure and you're traveling light, you can take the tri-rail to miami, transfer to the metrorail, and then take the free metromover to within a block or two of your hotel.

My #1 choice for hotels near the port is the Intercontinental Miami. You can normally score a pretty good deal through expedia/travelocity/LMT We just stayed at the River Park Hotel and Suites last week. It's dated, but it's safe, clean, and convenient. You'd be looking at a $10 cab ride from either hotel.

Thanks, I have heard/read Intercontinental come up many times as a top suggestion, however after a quick check it appears that there is zero availability for a room there for the night we'd need (2/28). I've also looked at the Holiday Inn Bayside, which is also often suggested as a pre - cruise spot, and it does have availability (though a bit pricey, at about $240 with tax).

And regarding transportation from FLL to the Miami hotel, SAS looks to be a good option. Then I'm guessing we'd just do a simple taxi ride to POM in the am (EARLY for the vibe pass!), and then perhaps SAS for the transport from POM to FLL and the end of the trip? Does this sound like a solid plan to those of you experienced (and helpful) Miami cruisers?

Thanks, I have heard/read Intercontinental come up many times as a top suggestion, however after a quick check it appears that there is zero availability for a room there for the night we'd need (2/28). I've also looked at the Holiday Inn Bayside, which is also often suggested as a pre - cruise spot, and it does have availability (though a bit pricey, at about $240 with tax).

And regarding transportation from FLL to the Miami hotel, SAS looks to be a good option. Then I'm guessing we'd just do a simple taxi ride to POM in the am (EARLY for the vibe pass!), and then perhaps SAS for the transport from POM to FLL and the end of the trip? Does this sound like a solid plan to those of you experienced (and helpful) Miami cruisers?

Hi,

that sounds like your best plan. Fly in day before and stay in Miami. You definitely MUST be in that first group to have any chance of getting that vibe. Call Last minute travel and request DoubleTree By Hilton Grand Biscayne Bay, they have space available but must call them -888-591-2799 it should be a little over $200 including tax, you can also request Hilton Miami Downtown which is also similar in price.

Sounds solid to me! We left the IC at 8:30 and were in the first boarding group on the Epic. I'd assume that your experience would be similar.

I was able to find the River Park Hotel and Suites on Expedia for $146 total with tax. Like I said, it's not the Ritz- it's a former Clarion that is now independently owned, but it's clean, safe, and comfortable. The cab ride should be $12 or less, especially if you're headed over early

Sounds solid to me! We left the IC at 8:30 and were in the first boarding group on the Epic. I'd assume that your experience would be similar.

Ah, a key piece of info, thanks for that. That was about what I was thinking as far as an early arrival. I mean if we are basically right down the street already at a downtown hotel like the Holiday Inn, why not just grab a cab and get there extra early just to make sure we're in the first boarding group ;)

I was a first time cruiser on allure of the seas with the family a month ago I booked norwegian getaway balcony good rate I wanna sail out of Miami some of u have done both cruises I get some bad feedback for norwegian so just wandering should I just stick to royal or give norwegian a shot?

I was a first time cruiser on allure of the seas with the family a month ago I booked norwegian getaway balcony good rate I wanna sail out of Miami some of u have done both cruises I get some bad feedback for norwegian so just wandering should I just stick to royal or give norwegian a shot?

Well, you're on a board of people who love NCL, so the advice might be a bit biased. NCL has a great product, they are the pioneers of "eat when you want where you want with who you want" dining, and truly have mastered the Freestyle concept.

You also need to consider that people are more likely to take the time to complain (write a bad review) than to praise with a good review.

What is it about your royal Caribbean cruise that you enjoyed? What negatives have you heard about NCL? What would be a "dealbreaker" for you in terms of a cruise experience.

We'll I wanted to here from Ncl fans they must be good if there is a lot of people loyal I guess I've heard from more people that have not been on Ncl

I am worried about the long lines at dinner when we decide to eat I heard can be long.also the service ain't as good I know that's vague but that's just a couple of things I've heard and read. I booked a beautiful large balcony forward on the new getaway. The allure was our first so I don't have any thing to compare it was massive I found my self a little over whelmed so I just wanted to here some positive feed back about NCL to feel good about the pick these vacations are expensive just want to be sure thank u

We'll I wanted to here from Ncl fans they must be good if there is a lot of people loyal I guess I've heard from more people that have not been on Ncl

I am worried about the long lines at dinner when we decide to eat I heard can be long.also the service ain't as good I know that's vague but that's just a couple of things I've heard and read. I booked a beautiful large balcony forward on the new getaway. The allure was our first so I don't have any thing to compare it was massive I found my self a little over whelmed so I just wanted to here some positive feed back about NCL to feel good about the pick these vacations are expensive just want to be sure thank u

I cruised on the Breakaway in September, which is the Getaway's sister ship, so I'd be more than happy to speak to that experience. We've been on over a dozen NCL cruises, as well as a smattering of cruises on other lines.

1) size- It's huge. You won't get to do everything. It's similar to the Allure in that regard. But the recreation, entertainment, and dining options are amazing, and I do love the megaships. Research before you go, and figure out what highlights you want to hit!

2) Service- honestly, my service on the Breakaway, and most recently on the Sky (which is about half the size!) were FANTASTIC. Our room stewards knew our names by the second time we saw them, and on our most recent cruise our steward even left us a note thanking us for being such kind guests. It's the little touches that go a long way with me. I've never had *bad* service from an NCL employee. It's true that your dining room server won't know your name like they do with traditional dining, but that does not mean they are any less attentive or friendly.

3) Dinner lines- I honestly never waited more than 10 minutes to be seated on the Breakaway. As long as you don't show up right when the dining room opens, or at 7:00 (peak dinner hour) your wait will not be significant. With as many dining options as there are, they do a good job of crowd control.

Ok well I gotta be honest we didn't have a great room attendant my wife had to clean the room her self and wipe it down with disinfectant wipes the lady was so lazy never working always talking.plus there was an issue on there island were they made me late to pick my child up at kids club and they charged me so there was stuff I didn't like on allure I did love it though but it's those little things I appreciate that's y I'm asking u guys thank u for your time and review any tips would be great I feel good about my room on getaway I like Miami and the itinerary plus the room so everything sounds great so far