Upgraded at Pier

jamesm

Just back last week from QE2 Norwegian Wonders II cruise. When we checked in at the pier, we found we had been upgraded from C1 to P2. Don't understand quite how that happened because there were signs everywhere that the cruise had been fully booked. The cruise was absolutely wonderful, weather very cooperative, and we very much enjoyed our tablemates in Princess Grill. If anyone has any questions, please ask. We had planned to stay in London for two days post-cruise and were therefore in London last week when the terrorists struck. Glad to be home safely.

As we will board the QE2 in about two weeks and visit all of the ports you did, I would like to ask you about the sightseeing you did there. Ship excursions? On your own? How did you like it? Any special advice?

And which temperatures did you encounter, thus which clothing was needed on deck and ashore?

Further questions, if you do not mind (one hears so many complaints):

Was the Queen's Room very crowded for tea? How about the Queen's Lounge?

How does tea work on deck?

How were service and food in the Princess Grill? (BTW Thank you for your Princess Grill answer in another thread.) Did you order off-menu? Was the dress code enforced?

Who were (and will potentially be) captain, cruise director, cruise hostess and international hostess? Did you find, as some said, the cruise director to mass market style for a Cunard ship?

Thanks for any answer you might be able to give.

We went ashore in every port but mostly did our own thing. In Bergen we did some shopping and took the funicular railway up the mountain - very easy to organize and well-worth doing. In Geiranger and Aalesund we did a lot of walking. The only organized shore excursion we selected was the all-day trip by train to Voss and back to the ship by coach. It was a fabulous experience and I can very much recommend it.

The weather was variable in terms of temperature. Mornings when the ship was approaching a port of call we were usually on deck by 6.00 am. We needed sweaters then. As the day progressed, it usually warmed up so that short sleeve shirts were enough. In the afternoons, it would cool off enough so that a light sweater or windbreaker was nice. People were using the pool and whirlpools on deck every day, however, and lounging in the sun in swimsuits.

The dress code in the Princess Grill was followed almost to the letter. The second and third evenings were formal - all the gentlemen were wearing either tuxedos (Smoking) or dark suits. Ladies in cocktail or more formal dresses. The other nights - all five of them - were jacket and tie for the men and informal dresses or pantsuits for the ladies. One of our tablemates arrived the first evening in a jacket without tie. The maitre d'hotel politely informed him (and there was a sign at the restaurant entrance) that it would be appreciated if he would wear a tie every evening in the future. In the evenings it looked to me as if most of the ship was respectful of the dress code.

Food in the PG was terrific. We thought the menus were much more creative than we have found them to be in the past. Service was very good. We did order off menu several times and they were very accommodating. The dinner menu each evening usually featured fresh seafood that had been received in port that morning. There was an appetizer on the menu one of the evenings that we liked so much we asked to have it the next evening and they happily obliged.

Afternoon tea in the Queen's Room was usually very crowded. We did not try tea in the Queen's Grill Lounge. I generally preferred tea in the Lido because it was more easily accessible. Afternoon tea is also served in an abridged version on the aft deck near the pool.

I would have to go back and look for the information you request about the cruise staff. Let me know if it's important and I can do that. There were 88 Americans on the ship for our cruise - we were a minority to be sure - so my impression of the "atmosphere" was that it was more continental (subdued) which is our preference anyway.

Thank you very much, James, for taking time to provide all the answers.

Everything sounds terrific.

To know about the cruise staff is not really important. It just had been interesting to see if I know somebody from a past voyage.

Due to your positive information we are even more looking forward now.

We ordered Crepes Suzettte on evening in PG which were made tableside in a chafing dish. Someone else ordered Steak Diane made to order tableside also. My only complaint was the scrambled eggs at breakfast were powdered, so if you like your eggs scrmabled as for fresh ones. Princess and Brittania Grills share the same galley with The Caronia Restaurant.

Shuttle buses were provided in Bergen. In Geiranger we tendered into port and the port is so small buses were not needed. In Aalesund and Flam we were at piers very close to everything. Flam is so tiny there really isn't much in terms of buildings. All very charming ports, however.

Archived