Excited about my cruise and...

che5904

OK this looks like a good place to ask this, to my more seasoned cruisers on this thread, who may be cruised on a special day.

In Shelly11's review she says that New Years Eve was busier to get in to the MDR than any other night. Does anyone feel that this may be the case on valentines day as well? I wasn't planning on booking a specialty restaurant before I boarded but now rethinking, I should book that night somewhere before cruise to cut down a possible wait at the MDRs that night.

I will also be posting this on the ongoing thread about booking specialties.

Anyone's input would be appreciated.

Thanks for bringing this up Che. I hadn't even thought about valentines day (duh) but now I am wondering about this too. Also wondering which specialty restaurant would be best for valentines dinner?

Thanks for bringing this up Che. I hadn't even thought about valentines day (duh) but now I am wondering about this too. Also wondering which specialty restaurant would be best for valentines dinner?

I never considered that either when I booked the cruise until someone said something about my FIL birthday (which falls on Valentines Day). :)

I actually asked this on 2 different threads and have gotten no reply from either. We plan on doing 1 or 2 specialties while onboard anyway. I wasn't going to book ahead and wait till we were on the ship. But I'm double thinking that and think I might just book one of them for that night.

Most people will probably tell you Le Bistro, and I've never tried them myself. We've enjoy Cagneys.

There are sample menus on the NCL site. Ship..What's on Boad...Eat then choose the + beside the restaurant. Any sample menu is directly below the photo of the venue.

I never considered that either when I booked the cruise until someone said something about my FIL birthday (which falls on Valentines Day). :)

I actually asked this on 2 different threads and have gotten no reply from either. We plan on doing 1 or 2 specialties while onboard anyway. I wasn't going to book ahead and wait till we were on the ship. But I'm double thinking that and think I might just book one of them for that night.

Most people will probably tell you Le Bistro, and I've never tried them myself. We've enjoy Cagneys.

There are sample menus on the NCL site. Ship..What's on Boad...Eat then choose the + beside the restaurant. Any sample menu is directly below the photo of the venue.

We did the steakhouse on POA before it was Cagneys and did enjoy it. Looking at menus they both look good to me. I'm told I tend to be a 'planner' which may be true. I think I may book ahead as soon as it is available since it is Valentines Day we are talking about. :)

tired of all the negative.

Has anyone came back from a Dawn Western Caribbean that has anything good to say? Or photos they wish to share. Or port tips?

Our roll call is very very quiet. So not getting much enthusiasm from there.

Please :cool:

Our ports are: Roatan, Bay Islands (Honduras); Belize City (Belize); Costa Maya (Mexico); Cozumel (Mexico);

I sailed on the Dawn last year. Great ship. Look for Jesse in the bar staff. Last year she was in Spinnaker. Sailed the Dawn the year before last too and she remembered us :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

My wife and 14 year old son were on the dawn last feb same itinerary as your self

We hated it so much

We have booked again this year to confirm we hated it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D Always best to double check those things, just to be sure. ;)

Edited by che5904

Thanks everybody! We're sailing on the Dawn the last week of January, and the post "Unfortunately chose the Dawn" had me worried!! I AM glad to hear about the embark and disembark problems ahead of time, we have a hotel for Saturday night, and are renting a car and driving to friends' in Port Charlotte on sunday, so we'll just take our own sweet time getting to the ship, and relax Sunday morning before getting off. Although it goes faster if you carry your own luggage, right? I'm sure we'll do that. Since I lost 40 pounds, my clothes don't take up NEAR as much room in a suitcase!!! :D

Thanks everybody! We're sailing on the Dawn the last week of January, and the post "Unfortunately chose the Dawn" had me worried!! I AM glad to hear about the embark and disembark problems ahead of time, we have a hotel for Saturday night, and are renting a car and driving to friends' in Port Charlotte on sunday, so we'll just take our own sweet time getting to the ship, and relax Sunday morning before getting off. Although it goes faster if you carry your own luggage, right? I'm sure we'll do that. Since I lost 40 pounds, my clothes don't take up NEAR as much room in a suitcase!!! :D

LOL I'm down 35, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

See isn't it nice to read some good experiences. I find the overload sometimes of nothing but negative certainly dampens the anticipation of a vacation. Not saying that any vacation is perfect, but then neither is life.

I think the port situation put a negative start to some peoples vacation and they couldn't get past it to see the good.

My wife and 14 year old son were on the dawn last feb same itinerary as your self

We hated it so much

We have booked again this year to confirm we hated it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To get a real measurement of displeasure, you would need to do at least 3 cruises and then round the results. JMHO

:D

We were on the Dawn for a western in March and had a great time! It was one of our favorite cruises. The CD when we went was a little hard to understand on the speakers but wasn't at all something to complain about.

We had one weird thing happen that I'm sure some of the others would complain about but we did not. We were in our room and heard our toilet flush by itself! Thinking we were crazy and it must not have flushed itself we ignored it and it happened again! This time overflowing the entire bathroom. We called down and they sent someone up but it did it again after they thought it was fixed so we waited a little while and then called back down and explained that we didn't think it was fixed. They sent someone up to fix it again and that time it was fixed. We were told someone on our floor had flushed something that was not supposed to be disposed in the toilet and it was blocking the system. When we went to dinner our steward had our room like nothing had ever happened, the hallway smelled a little musty that evening but they eventually took care of that too.

Everyone we dealt with was very nice, helpful etc. The shows were some of our favorite of the NCL ships we've been on. They had lots of variety, not just musicals or production type shows. We had a magician, several production shows and on the last night we had Second City and they were hilarious! Our food service was great. We booked some shore excursions with the ship and some on our own, both were fantastic! We were told the night before disembarkation that we would most likely be late docking because of fog but when we got up in the morning we were already docked at 6am! We had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to book the Dawn again.

We sailed 8-15 Dec, and we found it to be a fun cruise. There were plenty of things to do, and we often felt conflicted as to which one to choose. The weather was a bit rainy off and on during the first part, but partying went on. All the staff treated us well, and we had great fun dancing. We love to dance, and as long as we can find some music to make it happen, we are thrilled. The atrium always had some great musicians playing. Spinnaker varied, but we always had fun.

As for the MDR, we ate there several times and always found something tasty to eat. Service was very good except for one miss in the Blue Lagoon for breakfast, but we forgave that immediately. One miss was pretty good percentage. We enjoyed La Cucina, Moderno (first experience) and Le Bistro...good service and food. Le Bistro on the last night of the cruise was packed, and we felt the restaurant could have used some more space...too tight, and a bit loud, but we still enjoyed the meal.

Ship looked great to us, and we found the crew to be quite nice. You will enjoy yourself for sure.

We sailed 8-15 Dec, and we found it to be a fun cruise. There were plenty of things to do, and we often felt conflicted as to which one to choose. The weather was a bit rainy off and on during the first part, but partying went on. All the staff treated us well, and we had great fun dancing. We love to dance, and as long as we can find some music to make it happen, we are thrilled. The atrium always had some great musicians playing. Spinnaker varied, but we always had fun.

As for the MDR, we ate there several times and always found something tasty to eat. Service was very good except for one miss in the Blue Lagoon for breakfast, but we forgave that immediately. One miss was pretty good percentage. We enjoyed La Cucina, Moderno (first experience) and Le Bistro...good service and food. Le Bistro on the last night of the cruise was packed, and we felt the restaurant could have used some more space...too tight, and a bit loud, but we still enjoyed the meal.

Ship looked great to us, and we found the crew to be quite nice. You will enjoy yourself for sure.

Great to hear. Yes we've found ourselves conflicted at times on which activity we wanted to do on our cruises.

Hi Che5904,

I have been to Roatan a few times and OFF bug spray worked for me to protect against the no see-um critters. I sprayed in Belize too and if going into rain forests, I wore a hat or cap. If you have a particular restaurant that you know you want to eat at for Valentine's Day, then that would probably be a time to book in advance. Although I never sailed on 2/14, I can imagine an intimate dinner will be on more passengers' minds on that evening than any other. Have a great trip on the Dawn! I will sail her a sixth or seventh time just a few weeks after you!

coka

Hi Che5904,

I have been to Roatan a few times and OFF bug spray worked for me to protect against the no see-um critters. I sprayed in Belize too and if going into rain forests, I wore a hat or cap. If you have a particular restaurant that you know you want to eat at for Valentine's Day, then that would probably be a time to book in advance. Although I never sailed on 2/14, I can imagine an intimate dinner will be on more passengers' minds on that evening than any other. Have a great trip on the Dawn! I will sail her a sixth or seventh time just a few weeks after you!

coka

Thanks Coka

While it wasn't the western, we did the Dawn Repo Tampa to Boston last April 2013 and had so much fun, and didn't get to do everything we wanted to do, that we are doing it again this next April 2014.

Have a great cruise, the Dawn is a great ship. :D

• 4 weeks later...
We were on the Dawn last season for the western cruise out of Tampa. It was one of my best cruises to date. It was so good I came back and booked the repo cruise on the Dawn for this coming April.

If you haven't already, look into Maya Chan in Costa Maya...it was the best beach day I have ever had on a cruise. I can't wait for the opportunity to go back.

We're on the repo cruise as well in April and SOOOO looking forward to it. Just booked Maya Chan after reading the reviews on here and Trip Advisor. Sounds like a fun day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

tired of all the negative.

Has anyone came back from a Dawn Western Caribbean that has anything good to say? Or photos they wish to share. Or port tips?

Our roll call is very very quiet. So not getting much enthusiasm from there.

Please :cool:

Our ports are: Roatan, Bay Islands (Honduras); Belize City (Belize); Costa Maya (Mexico); Cozumel (Mexico);

The roll call for my June Bermuda cruise in Dawn is so dead that it doesn't even come up on the mobile app anymore- LOL. I am not the least bit worried about not enjoying the actual cruise, but it does take some of the anticipation excitement away when it seems like it will be you and one other person on the boat- ha! I was actually sure it must be a partial charter with how insanely dead the roll call is, but my google searches have come up empty.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app