No more cold soups

trvlqueen

You never know, it could be a possibility if enough people express their opinions. Shrimp cocktail comes to mind. ;)

I liked the strawberry soup, but was not much of a fan of the others. I am not sure what kind of following the cold soups have, but if people really love it, they should express that opinion.

I would think most cruisers are completely unaware of cuts like this. Only a small percentage of cruisers use this board. So maybe that old saying "what you don't know won't hurt you" is the philosophy.

I personally dislike cold soups, they always taste like melted ice cream or something since most are sweet. And savoury ones just taste like, well... cold hot soup.

I heard there was a big uproar once when there was the suggestion of eliminating the melting chocolate cake and it is still there, I think.

Can you seriously buy pumpkin in a can over there? Yuck! Why wouldn't you just buy a piece of fresh pumpkin?

Because the pumpkins that grow in NA are mostly used for decorative reasons, not for eating since they might be too stringy and tough. Most of the pureed pumpkin in a can isn't really pumpkin, it's Hubbard squash or butternut squash. There's nothing wrong with canned pumpkin, it usually contains just pureed pumpkin nothing else, and it is a lot easier to work with unless you want to go all pioneer;).

Unless she is cruising the Glory, the other ships currently still have them.

3 other ships will be added to the program over the next few months, but most ships will still have the cold soups for a while.

Does anyone know which 3 ships will be next for the new menus?

I only found it once on our Jewel cruise in October...and I was looking. They had a cold banana soup served with the BBQ they do outside on one day.

Carnival has apparently decided to dumb down their menu like NCL did when it went to freestyle...Which is unfortunate but what can you do

Good. No big loss there. I can't understand why people always used to rave over them. I found them somewhat gross, especially the strawberry bisque. Like melted strawberry ice cream. Just don't ditch the shrimp cocktail that they have every night as an appetizer and add more hot soup options. Strawberries are great on a plate, or in a cake or in frozen ice cream. Not in a soup.

Good. No big loss there. I can't understand why people always used to rave over them. I found them somewhat gross, especially the strawberry bisque. Like melted strawberry ice cream. Just don't ditch the shrimp cocktail that they have every night as an appetizer and add more hot soup options. Strawberries are great on a plate, or in a cake or in frozen ice cream. Not in a soup.

They ditched the shrimp cocktail and went down to 6 soup options. Most nights there are no soups

They ditchedt he shrimp cocktail and went down to 6 soup options. Most nights there are no soups

Ah, I didn't see that. That sucks. I didn't like all the hot soup options but The navy bean was probably my favorite, followed by beef barley. They really should offer at least 1 soup that is on the menu every night. The cutbacks are so extreme that it cheapens the overall mdr experience even beyond that of an applebees. Golden corral often has better food. I mean come on. I know you have to lower your expectations some but not to that level. Its almost like they are trying to get people to do the specialty restaurant options for a decent meal now. They are trending in the wrong direction, plain and simple.

Ah, I didn't see that. That sucks. I didn't like all the hot soup options but The navy bean was probably my favorite, followed by beef barley. They really should offer at least 1 soup that is on the menu every night. The cutbacks are so extreme that it cheapens the overall mdr experience even beyond that of an applebees. Golden corral often has better food. I mean come on. I know you have to lower your expectations some but not to that level. Its almost like they are trying to get people to do the specialty restaurant options for a decent meal now. They are trending in the wrong direction, plain and simple.

Where are your Applebee's and Golden corral. Even with the cutbacks the food at the ones in my area still sucks. I suspect they are better in some areas than others. I would love to be able to get Carnival quality at my local buffet or Applebee's.

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

Where are your Applebee's and Golden corral. Even with the cutbacks the food at the ones in my area still sucks. I suspect they are better in some areas than others. I would love to be able to get Carnival quality at my local buffet or Applebee's.

Thanks

Applebee's can honestly be very hit or miss. There is one not far from me that is actually pretty good. Another one not too far from that one that is not so good. I have never been to a bad Golden Corral anywhere, although I have been to a few bad buffet joints over the years that I don't care to name here. But the point is that Carnival used to be superior to most mass produced casual restaurants and with these changes, it no longer will be. It will be right on a par if not below in some cases. The food had better be even better than it was before after these changes, because if it is not, what is the point of even going to the mdr? Truthfully, on my last two cruises this past fall, I did not even bother dressing up more than a polo shirt and a decent dress shirt on formal night and even a tasteful t shirt and long pants a few other evenings. I used to go all out with a nice suit on formal night with nice dressy clothes every other night. Now if I do that I really feel out of place. I saw a guy with a sleeveless shirt try to get into the dining room one night on the Imagination. Granted he was denied entrance but when most people are closer to that than to all dressed up, you know things are changing. But hey, that just means I can do a rollaboard carryon bag and maybe one checked bag now instead of two 49.5-lb suitcases when I cruise.

But back to the menu lol. I guess by offering stuff that we have always had available to us by request only, they figure they don't have to cook and waste as much food and people won't go to the extreme and order 50 things off the menu and not finish any of them. But, I still don't like the idea. But I do like the idea of getting rid of the stuff that I didn't like, for example the cold soups. Just replace it with better options and don't do away with the classic things that are a staple of Carnival cruising.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

Applebee's has always been a miss for me and no Golden Corral in my next of the woods. I dress lovely at the end of day, because DH loves it, good or so-so food. I would love to find an Applebee's with Carnival mdr quality. My last cruise I packed 14 formal outfits.

Edited by Blk_Amish