Taxi drivers want to wait until full

Inthedark31

We recently went to Royal Palms from the cruise terminal. Walked out and several taxis holding signs with prices on them. One driver told us to stand to the side and wait. While waiting I noticed another cab loading people up so we hopped on and ours was the first stop. Had a lovely day and plan on going back.

After the day, and a few buckets of beer, we were ready to head back. We walked out of the resort and a driver was loading the taxi, which held 8 people. There was one couple already so we got in. After a few minutes the couple said they were leaving because this happened before and they waited over 30 minutes to fill up the cab. We watched them walk to the road while another couple got on. After a couple of minutes another couple got on, which made us total 6. The driver kept saying just a minute, and then proceeded to sit down while waiting for another couple. So the second couple jumped off and walked towards the road. We were back to 4 people, and another couple got on. The driver said, just a minute, and proceeded to sit back down. So we all decided to get up and leave and she finally relented and drove us to the terminal. She was not a happy camper and was extremely rude.

We probably waited a total of 10 or 15 minutes. While I understand they want a full load......sometimes you just have to push back!

What you experienced is a result of different licenses for taxis and tour buses. Those are details that, I know, most tourists don't want to have to deal with.

In short, the vehicles you see lined up right at the port are generally licensed as tour buses. They can directly serve the port and wait until full before proceeding.

Vehicles licensed as taxis are not permitted to directly serve the port. But they also are not permitted to make you share a ride. Generally taxi fare is higher than tour bus fare.

When returning from your Seven Mile Beach stop, I generally recommend using a third option ... the public bus system. Though they cannot directly serve the port, the depot is only two blocks away next to the library. Public bus fare is usually cheaper than even tour buses. A public bus has a coloured circle with a number and letters in it to designate which route it serves.

What you experienced is a result of different licenses for taxis and tour buses. Those are details that, I know, most tourists don't want to have to deal with.

In short, the vehicles you see lined up right at the port are generally licensed as tour buses. They can directly serve the port and wait until full before proceeding.

Vehicles licensed as taxis are not permitted to directly serve the port. But they also are not permitted to make you share a ride. Generally taxi fare is higher than tour bus fare.

When returning from your Seven Mile Beach stop, I generally recommend using a third option ... the public bus system. Though they cannot directly serve the port, the depot is only two blocks away next to the library. Public bus fare is usually cheaper than even tour buses. A public bus has a coloured circle with a number and letters in it to designate which route it serves.

Thanks for the transportation tips, especially the info about the two block walk from the bus depot to the port.

What are considered some of the nicer areas on Seven Mile Beach?

Food , shopping, etc ?? how does renting lounges/chairs & umbrellas work?

We're looking forward to visiting on 12/28. thans, Mike in CT

Do you need exact fare and local currency?