Hobart and The Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary

CorgiGuy

Hi All,

We will be docked in Hobart on Tuesday 11/02/2014, and are looking to enjoy a relaxing non-stressful day. I would appreciate some local feedback regarding the following "Master plan". VBG

My initial thought is to visit The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens in the morning, and then catch the 2:30pm tour at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.

We love to walk so I am under the impression that we could take a nice long leisurely walk to The Royal Gardens. Am I correct?

My main concern is getting to Bonorong. Since we're not fans of ship excursions, is it possible to arrive at the sanctuary via public transportation? If not, what is your suggested means of getting to & from the Sanctuary from the cruise port area in Hobart.

I thank you for your time & assistance.

Anthony

Hi Anthony

I live 1km from Bonorong Park so may be able help, the closest that public transport would get you would be about 1 -1.5kms, that would be to Brighton. You could check the timetables on their website http://www.metrotas.com.au . There are about 2 buses a day that acgually go past their driveway but I doubt the times for those would work for you, think that route is aimed mainly for school children and workers pickups. APart from buses, a taxi would be your best option, at least its door to door and not having to waste precious time waiting for buses and then walking to the park.

The Botanical Gardens are walkable from the dock area, also Salamanca Place in the dock area is a nice place too, cafes, bars and gift shops, but the markets are only on Saturdays.

The Tasmanian Museum has just had major renovations and is quite interesting and in the wharf area too.

Hope this helps a little, please ask if theres any questions that I may be able to help with

Deb

Hi Deb,

Thank you for your informative reply.

Unfortunately, the bus schedule is not agreeable to my plans. I checked with several Hobart cab companies, and round trip estimates (Based on 26km one way) were approximately $ 106.

Therefore, even though never my first choice, it looks like we'll be taking our ship's excursion. It comes out to not much more than cab fare & cost of admission to Bonorong, plus we get to stop and walk around Richmond a bit.

I appreciate the mention of Salamanca Place and The Tasmanian Museum. We'll try to fit at lease one in during our walk to The Botanical Gardens.

PS: My wife's name is Debra also.

Stay well,

Anthony

Hi Deb,

Thank you for your informative reply.

Unfortunately, the bus schedule is not agreeable to my plans. I checked with several Hobart cab companies, and round trip estimates (Based on 26km one way) were approximately $ 106.

Therefore, even though never my first choice, it looks like we'll be taking our ship's excursion. It comes out to not much more than cab fare & cost of admission to Bonorong, plus we get to stop and walk around Richmond a bit.

I appreciate the mention of Salamanca Place and The Tasmanian Museum. We'll try to fit at lease one in during our walk to The Botanical Gardens.

PS: My wife's name is Debra also.

Stay well,

Anthony

Debra..spelt the RIGHT way too..must be a nice person :)

Richmond is a nice village too....has the oldest bridge still in use in Australia. With Bonorong Park, maybe you could share a cab with another couple.

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in Hobart, whatever you see and do.

Deb

• 3 weeks later...
Debra..spelt the RIGHT way too..must be a nice person :)

Richmond is a nice village too....has the oldest bridge still in use in Australia. With Bonorong Park, maybe you could share a cab with another couple.

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in Hobart, whatever you see and do.

Deb

Lovely, absolutely lovely.....

• 2 weeks later...

We just(12/31/13) did Bonorong and Richmond as a half day ship excursion (Diamond Princess) for $86.00 USD per person. I think it was very much worth it. We were also very lucky that The Taste of Tasmania Festival was on at the time so we walked right over to that after our morning excursion. It was also an easy and lovely walk around the Salamanca area. Hobart was my favorite port of call and I was sorely tempted to jump ship! Have a wonderful time.