Regal Princess - July 13, 2014 - Mediterranean

newcomm

We've booked this Venice to Barcelona cruise for next summer!

Regal Princess is still under construction, and we've never sailed on a ship this new before. Looking forward to hearing from others on this trip!

Norm & Ron

Palm Springs, California

• 2 months later...
We've booked this Venice to Barcelona cruise for next summer!

Regal Princess is still under construction, and we've never sailed on a ship this new before. Looking forward to hearing from others on this trip!

Norm & Ron

Palm Springs, California

Hey Norm and Ron,

Steve here booked as well to celebrate my 50th. This will be my newest and largest ship, oh and first time sailing out of Venice.

Cheers,

• 3 months later...

Hi, Steve --

Wow, my apologies for not replying for three months. (I guess the "follow thread" feature isn't working for this thread.)

There will now be six in our group traveling together -- four from Palm Springs, and two from Washington, DC. Looking forward to meeting you! Princess usually has a GLBT get-together publicized in the daily brochure, but you'll probably spot us long before that :)

The sailaway from Venice is beautiful, and worth staying up late for night photography of the city. If its a clear day, the golden glow of sunset is spectacular when viewed from the upper decks.

Have you visited any of the other ports on this itinerary? Mykonos and Toulon will be new for us.

Take care!

Norm

1352689792_VeniceSunset.jpg.87ef0a83b1d30fa43878a5127d3c13e9.jpg

Hi, Steve --

Wow, my apologies for not replying for three months. (I guess the "follow thread" feature isn't working for this thread.)

There will now be six in our group traveling together -- four from Palm Springs, and two from Washington, DC. Looking forward to meeting you! Princess usually has a GLBT get-together publicized in the daily brochure, but you'll probably spot us long before that :)

The sailaway from Venice is beautiful, and worth staying up late for night photography of the city. If its a clear day, the golden glow of sunset is spectacular when viewed from the upper decks.

Have you visited any of the other ports on this itinerary? Mykonos and Toulon will be new for us.

Take care!

Norm

This website is great for meeting future cruise mates but it's features don't always work.

Glad to know that I will have outgoing friends on board, not shy myself and I meet few strangers, friendly and curious by nature. This is starting to sound like an online dating ad.

Have you guys planned excursions? I have booked all excursions through princess in all the ports except Toulon. This is only my third cruise and I have never been to any of the ports.

Have you guys planned excursions? I have booked all excursions through princess in all the ports except Toulon. This is only my third cruise and I have never been to any of the ports.

Yes, our travel companions have booked quite a few excursions so far. Since Ron and I have been to most of the ports before, we are taking some "off the beaten path" tours to see different sights, as well as some of the more popular tours.

We spent several days in Venice and Rome a couple years ago. We will probably explore those cities on our own. Venice is easy to walk into, and we'll take the train to Rome.

In Dubrovnik, we are planning the Dominican and Franciscan monastery tour, then walking through town on our own. (Last time we were in Dubrovnik, we took the City Walls tour, which was outstanding. Beautiful panoramic views of the entire city and the Adriatic as we walked along the top of the ancient walls. That tour also included a couple of stops in town, as well. An excellent adventure, if you enjoy walking.)

In Mykonos we're taking the boat trip to Delos, and then spending the rest of the day on foot, exploring Mykonos town.

We've been to Ephesus several times, but our friends haven't, so they are taking the Best of Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses. These are not to be missed! The terrace houses have frescoes and mosaics reminiscent of Pompeii.

If you enjoy Roman ruins, it's easy to take the Pompeii tour in the morning, and then Herculaneum in the afternoon. We did, and are so glad we saw both.

If you have any questions or want suggestions for any of the ports, I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

Cheers,

Norm

If you have any questions or want suggestions for any of the ports, I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

Cheers,

Norm

Norm,

The only port I have not booked an excursion for is Toulon. I have been to Paris a couple of times and so far, not a big fan of the French. Probably shouldn't judge a whole country by the rudeness of a few Parisians. So, what to do there, suggestions welcomed. I like the St. Tropez and Port Grimaud, but not the thought of another 2 hour bus ride. I might stay on the ship after all of this:

After Hours Visit to St. Mark's Basilica

Walking Tour of Venice

Dubrovnik's City Walls

Acropolis, Acropolis Museum & Plaka

Lunch in Ephesus, Terrace Houses & St John's

Delos: Birthplace of Apollo

Pompeii, Positano & Amalfi Coast

St. Peter's, Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain & Colosseum

Florence, Pisa, Statue of David & Uffizi Museum

Wow, you have a full assortment of tours selected! I know you will make some great memories. The night tour of San Marco should be very special! We just finalized our excursions last night.

Venice - (a couple of photo walks on our own)

Dubrovnik - Franciscan and Dominican Monasteries with Treasury

Athens - (bus/subway to the National Archaeological Museum)

Kusadasi - (visiting the fort at Pigeon Island and the downtown mosques)

Mykonos - Best of Delos and Mykonos

Naples - (bus to the Archaeological Museum, including the "Secret Cabinet," the rooms where they keep all the naughty artwork from Pompei :D )

Civitavecchia - Orvieto and Duomo

Livorno - Florence, David, and Uffizi

Toul - Castellet, Bandol, and Wine tasting

Our traveling companions have chosen other tours, but I don't know exactly which ones. Hope we can meet up for cocktails and trade ideas!

Just a few more weeks before the adventure begins!

Cheers / Norm & Ron

Norm,

The only port I have not booked an excursion for is Toulon. I have been to Paris a couple of times and so far, not a big fan of the French. Probably shouldn't judge a whole country by the rudeness of a few Parisians. So, what to do there, suggestions welcomed. I like the St. Tropez and Port Grimaud, but not the thought of another 2 hour bus ride. I might stay on the ship after all of this:

After Hours Visit to St. Mark's Basilica

Walking Tour of Venice

Dubrovnik's City Walls

Acropolis, Acropolis Museum & Plaka

Lunch in Ephesus, Terrace Houses & St John's

Delos: Birthplace of Apollo

Pompeii, Positano & Amalfi Coast

St. Peter's, Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain & Colosseum

Florence, Pisa, Statue of David & Uffizi Museum

Steve, I forgot to mention -- I lived in Greece for five years when I was in the Air Force, so I can read and speak basic Greek. That's why we're braving the bus and streetcar :-) Athens and Mykonos will be great fun.

I've been to the Acropolis more times that I can count (long, long ago). On our previous cruise, Ron and I took the Acropolis, Agora, and Temple of Zeus tour. That included lunch, as well as a visit to the agora, Agora Museum, and the Theseion -- the best preserved Greek temple anywhere. You can see it from the Acropolis -- it looks just like a smaller version of the Parthenon.

Our lunch included a bottle of Ouzo for every two people. Some of our tour companions didn't like Ouzo, so we gladly helped them finish their bottles. So did this nice Australian couple across from us. By the time lunch was over, all four of us were tipsy and best friends!

Wow, you have a full assortment of tours selected! I know you will make some great memories. The night tour of San Marco should be very special! We just finalized our excursions last night.

Venice - (a couple of photo walks on our own)

Dubrovnik - Franciscan and Dominican Monasteries with Treasury

Athens - (bus/subway to the National Archaeological Museum)

Kusadasi - (visiting the fort at Pigeon Island and the downtown mosques)

Mykonos - Best of Delos and Mykonos

Naples - (bus to the Archaeological Museum, including the "Secret Cabinet," the rooms where they keep all the naughty artwork from Pompei :D )

Civitavecchia - Orvieto and Duomo

Livorno - Florence, David, and Uffizi

Toul - Castellet, Bandol, and Wine tasting

Our traveling companions have chosen other tours, but I don't know exactly which ones. Hope we can meet up for cocktails and trade ideas!

Just a few more weeks before the adventure begins!

Cheers / Norm & Ron

We are all gonna be so tired, but full from adventure and life. I look forward to being exhausted and able to relax while others take care of the little things, like cooking, cleaning and cocktails. I just love cruising. Can you tell I'm getting excited?

I will be in cabin E424 and would love to meet your gang for drinks, if you guys have time. I choose late seating in the dinning room, 8:30. I love sea days by the pool and a group hot tub or two. Might check out the spa, too.

Steve, I forgot to mention -- I lived in Greece for five years when I was in the Air Force, so I can read and speak basic Greek. That's why we're braving the bus and streetcar :-) Athens and Mykonos will be great fun.

I've been to the Acropolis more times that I can count (long, long ago). On our previous cruise, Ron and I took the Acropolis, Agora, and Temple of Zeus tour. That included lunch, as well as a visit to the agora, Agora Museum, and the Theseion -- the best preserved Greek temple anywhere. You can see it from the Acropolis -- it looks just like a smaller version of the Parthenon.

Our lunch included a bottle of Ouzo for every two people. Some of our tour companions didn't like Ouzo, so we gladly helped them finish their bottles. So did this nice Australian couple across from us. By the time lunch was over, all four of us were tipsy and best friends!

Sounds like you have had some amazing adventures. I only know one Greek word and it's not a nice one and have never had Ouzo. I find Greek men very pleasing to look at, wouldn't mind touching a couple :D.

Wow, we are only 28 days from embarkation! We are in cabin B619, please feel free to give us a ring, as well. Ron and I have anytime dining, and tend to eat earlier than later. You are always welcome to join us for cocktails or just to hang out.

We will fly to Denver on the 8th, and spend a few days visiting with friends. Then we'll take Air Canada to Venice, in time to check in as soon as they start boarding!

Take care,

Norm & Ron

We are all gonna be so tired, but full from adventure and life. I look forward to being exhausted and able to relax while others take care of the little things, like cooking, cleaning and cocktails. I just love cruising. Can you tell I'm getting excited?

I will be in cabin E424 and would love to meet your gang for drinks, if you guys have time. I choose late seating in the dinning room, 8:30. I love sea days by the pool and a group hot tub or two. Might check out the spa, too.

If we have time in Mykonos, we should all find a little taverna with a view of the water (and other pleasing views!), and sip some ouzo and/or raki while munching on some yummy Greek appetizers. Perfect way to end a day in the Aegean! (Raki is greek moonshine. Takes some getting used to, but packs a wallop.) :eek:

Sounds like you have had some amazing adventures. I only know one Greek word and it's not a nice one and have never had Ouzo. I find Greek men very pleasing to look at, wouldn't mind touching a couple :D.

Wow, we are only 28 days from embarkation! We are in cabin B619, please feel free to give us a ring, as well. Ron and I have anytime dining, and tend to eat earlier than later. You are always welcome to join us for cocktails or just to hang out.

We will fly to Denver on the 8th, and spend a few days visiting with friends. Then we'll take Air Canada to Venice, in time to check in as soon as they start boarding!

Take care,

Norm & Ron

Norm & Ron,

Cocktails are a given. Do you guys dress for formal nights? I'm packing my tux and white dinner jacket. Plan to strut like a peacock. I wear uniforms to work and never get to dress, so its a pleasure for me to play dress up. I sound like a little girl, oh well...lol.

I fly in that day, too. Arrive 9:15. I think transfers start at 11:00. Are you guys using Princess to transfer to the pier? If so, are there vouchers or just on a list with a Princess rep at the airport?

Cheers

If we have time in Mykonos, we should all find a little taverna with a view of the water (and other pleasing views!), and sip some ouzo and/or raki while munching on some yummy Greek appetizers. Perfect way to end a day in the Aegean! (Raki is greek moonshine. Takes some getting used to, but packs a wallop.) :eek:

Yum. It's a date.

We got our transfers through Princess. There is a notation on our paperwork that we bought transfers, but we have never had to show anything -- the airport representative always has our names on a manifest. We've never had any problems with the Princess transfers.

We are bringing dark suits for formal nights., because neither of us owns a tuxedo!

Are you guys using Princess to transfer to the pier? If so, are there vouchers or just on a list with a Princess rep at the airport?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
A long holiday weekend, then we leave for Europe next week! Safe travels, and we will catch up with you on the ship!

Cheers // Norm

Happy 4th, a day or two late. Safe travels to you and yours and see you on board. I'll be the super excited one.

Cheeers