Beach: beating the crowds

gquest

We will be in St. Thomas on 3/7/2006 (Carnival Liberty) and I noticed that there were 5 other ships in port that day besides the Liberty. I want to do Godfrey's or Sunny Liston's tour, but I need a little help picking the beach. I would like to try to beat the crowds and maybe go snorkling and rent jet skis. Does anyone have any advice on which beach to choose? Thanks :D

Hello,

I believe the two tours mentioned give you the option of Magens, Sapphire or Coki.

If you want snorkleing and jet skis - Magens Bay is out (neither is available there).

Crowd factor will likely be similar at both Sapphire and Coki with 5 ships in port, but a little less thick at Sapphire.

What else is important to you about the beach you choose?

--Islander

http://www.*****

What else is important to you about the beach you choose

Hello Islander,

Thanks for your response. Now that I think about it there doesn't necessarily have to be jet skis. I just thought it would be a nice addition. Listed below are some other important factors (in order of importance):

1. Quality of snorkeling

2. Cleanliness & somewhat crowd free

3. Food & Drinks

4. Water sports

Additional Questions:

1. Out of all these beaches where is the best snorkeling?

2. With all of your knowledge and experience regarding St. Thomas, what do you think would be the perfect day for me and my girlfriend?

Thanks again for all your help

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your conversation, but based on what Islander said about the crowd situation and your criteria, your best bet may be Sapphire Beach (with crowds being a little less "thick" there). It is part of a resort, so you'll have a nice restaurant, bar and shops you can check out. Also, the snorkeling is fantastic!

Im going to check out Secret Harbor this time around.. I was told it has very good snorkeling right off the beach and is not crowded. There is a condo resort with the same name, so there's a restaurant & bar as well.

Hello,

Coki has better snorkelling, but Sapphire is pretty good. Sapphire has a watersports booth (kayaks, windsurfing, jet skis, parasailing...). Coki has jet skis. Coki is next to Coral World - and both spots together are huge on the tour/excursion route so Sapphire will be less crowded. But as mentioned on a day with 5 ships they are both going to have a good bit of people. Coki has beach shack type bar/food/souvenirs (very touristy feel, people offering you stuff). Sapphire is a resort property so you have restaurant, beach bar, gift shop.

--Islander

Hello,

What I do... go to the beach for a few hours, snorkeling, boating, beach picnics, hiking - those are my favorites.

Places of interest are mainly the historical buildings downtown. Activities are plenty and really depend on what you want to do; aerial tour, bike tour, rent a boat, sailing, dive class, shop, island tour, golf, spa... What interest you most?

--Islander

Hello,

Yes with 6 ships you will have a crowd at Trunk Bay. However Trunk Bay is not the only beautiful beach on St. John... you could head to one of the others if you wouldn't less crowd; Caneel Bay and Cinnamon Bay (have food, drinks, chairs, watersports). Cinnamon has good snorkeling. Caneel bay is a short hike from Honeymoon Beach where there is good snorkeling. Hawksnest is another nice one, but no food/drinks so you'd need to pick up some in Cruz Bay and bring with you or head back to Cruz Bay for lunch.

--Islander

Archived