Communication from Work or Family While on Cruise - Celebrity - Constellation

brk55305

Am taking Baltic Cruise 7/30/05 on Celebrity's Constellation and need to leave emergency contact information at home. Celebrity refers to a connection by "Satellite Service" .... has anyone used it? Can you really be contacted?

Also the web refers to fax numbers and e-mail. I am not bringing my laptop, how does Celebrity's e-mail system work. Do you create a new name just for the trip?

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

P.S. .... I know, I should forget about work!!!!!

Yes, you really can get through to the ship via the satellite phones, but it's like $9 a minute. Your family can send emails to your regular email accounts like Yahoo/AOL/Netscape or whatever. You just go to the computer center, sign on and pick up your mail the same way you do at home.

I have been on the Celebrity Constellation, and, as the link provided by CaliforniaDreamin notes, they assign one a unique email address that is valid during the course of your cruise. There is an upside and downside to this approach for emails. The upside is that for any email sent to this account, the message light on your phone is illuminated so that you are alerted to the fact that you need to go to the Internet Cafe to retrieve it. For emails sent to your normal email address, one needs to periodically check for any new submissions. The downside is that you need to alert people in advance who might send you an email that you have a "new" email address that is valid for only a short period of time. In any case, for standard emails (i.e., under a certain size) the cost is fixed and quite reasonable. This is not always the case for cruise lines that charge by the minute.

Archived