Handicap Balcony Cabin on Breakaway

gizmo911

My parents had a B1 HC cabin, I can answer any questions. The front door opens automatically when you correctly put the card into the access slot. There is also a button inside the room that you can press and the door automatically opens from inside too. There is a ramp to go up and over the sliding door so there is no "lip" from inside the cabin to outside on the balcony. They had aft-facing so their balcony was HUGE!! When someone is at the door, they can either knock or press the doorbell, which flashes a light (for hearing impaired) and chimes a doorbell ring. There is no step up into the bathroom, you can use the wheelchair or walker to access the bathroom, which has a pull down seat in the shower with hold bars, as well as hold bars next to the toilet.

The only downside to the HC cabin was that there were no shelves to put toiletries, which I found odd because the regular cabins had shelving in the bathroom.

Anything else? There is plenty of room to move around in a wheelchair.

Here is a video:

Thank you so much for sharing this info. We will be toward the back on the side right next to the aft elevator.. That aft HC cabin was not available when we booked, it is huge. I was wondering how large our balcony is and if she can lay out and not just sit up when out there. Also, we can probably bring the shoe thingy to hang over the door for our toiletries.

Edited by gizmo911

B1 balcony handicap on the Breakaway. Notice the neat ramps to go up and over the lip to the balcony outside. That divider wasn't in my dad's cabin, he was aft-facing B1 on deck 12, his included a full wall of floor to ceiling sliding glass doors.

Breakaway-Midship-Balcony-Acc-0968.JPG

The sink is to the right (notice no counterspace?) (the shower seat comes down from the wall in the shower on the left. There are plenty of handbars that come down around the shower and the toilet.

Breakaway-Midship-Balcony-Acc-0969.JPG

Breakaway-Midship-Balcony-Acc-0971.JPG

I don't have a picture but the bed faces a wall that includes a fridge, TV, and plenty of closet and drawer space. To the right of that is an easy chair and to the right of that the door to enter/exit.

There was PLENTY of room to move around. My dad had a wheelchair, walker, and was attached to a 24-foot tube from a full-size oxygen machine I rented, and he was still able to move around with ease.

Edited by ibcnusoon

Booked a cruise on the BA for me and my sister in law for March 23, 2014 in a balcony cabin. My niece who is handicapped decided to come along. I asked to change to a handicapped cabin and was told there were none available. I figured I would call today and ask if there was some kind of list we could be put on. She said there was 2 ocean view HC cabins available but that won't work for us. She then said she was calling the help desk so they could find out if there was someone booked in a handicap that doesn't need it. Il be on hold for a while. Will let u know what I find out.

We will be in a HC Balcony cabin. Does anyone have pics of cabin and balcony. Would like to get some idea what we can expect in terms of space and balcony access. Thanks

I was actually talking to our room steward outside of a handicapped balcony cabin, he had the door opened, the room is VERY EMPTY, and has a huge space where you can do 360's in your wheelchair or scooter w/ a ramp that leads up to the balcony door...Multiple wheelchairs can prob. fit into that room and you can have your own demolition derby o' wheelchairs if you wanted too!

B1 balcony handicap on the Breakaway. Notice the neat ramps to go up and over the lip to the balcony outside. That divider wasn't in my dad's cabin, he was aft-facing B1 on deck 12, his included a full wall of floor to ceiling sliding glass doors.

Breakaway-Midship-Balcony-Acc-0968.JPG

The sink is to the right (notice no counterspace?) (the shower seat comes down from the wall in the shower on the left. There are plenty of handbars that come down around the shower and the toilet.

Breakaway-Midship-Balcony-Acc-0969.JPG

Breakaway-Midship-Balcony-Acc-0971.JPG

I don't have a picture but the bed faces a wall that includes a fridge, TV, and plenty of closet and drawer space. To the right of that is an easy chair and to the right of that the door to enter/exit.

There was PLENTY of room to move around. My dad had a wheelchair, walker, and was attached to a 24-foot tube from a full-size oxygen machine I rented, and he was still able to move around with ease.

OMG this is so helpful. It looks like plenty of room for the both of us and easy access to balcony. She is going to have a walker and we are renting a scooter. We can put our toiletries in the over the door shoe thingy. Thanks.

I was actually talking to our room steward outside of a handicapped balcony cabin, he had the door opened, the room is VERY EMPTY, and has a huge space where you can do 360's in your wheelchair or scooter w/ a ramp that leads up to the balcony door...Multiple wheelchairs can prob. fit into that room and you can have your own demolition derby o' wheelchairs if you wanted too!

LOL. I don't think that we will be doing derby stuff but she will most certainly spin around and around with excitement being it is her first cruise. By any chance did you get to see the size of the balcony. Wondering if only chairs can fit or one chair and lounge.

So after holding for 20 minutes she came back and said handicap rooms only accommodate 2 people. Needless to sat there are 3 of us will have to figure out something

We booked our HC balcony cabin several months ago. For some reason I thought that the room did accommodate 3 but her mom did not want to share with us so she booked inside.

Edited by gizmo911

• 2 years later...