Another hotel ??? Please!

Love2travel4

Just booked the cruise tonight..T minus 95 days...which is very short notice for me! Will be cruising Carnival Sunshine 11 day from NO to Port canaveral. I have never been to NO, so would like to spend 2 days here pre cruise. Fly in Friday at 10:30a, and head to ship Sunday around 11am. Okay...I want a safe, clean hotel with hopefully airport shuttle, free wi fi and maybe a shuttle to other areas? I like to see the tourist areas, shop, maybe take a River boat ride, ride a street car. Not big on jazz music. Should I stay in the French Quarter, out skirts? Hotels are very pricey, and I don't want to spend more on 2 night hotel stay than the whole cruise. Thank you in advance for any input.

I can help with part of your questions. I don't think you will find everything you want on your list but others may be able to help. For example, I have not heard of any French Quarter hotel offering a shuttle to other places. That all has to be booked independently and would be included in the price of the tour. For example, if you want to see plantation homes, you would book with a company that picks you up from your hotel, which is included in the tour.

Two of my favorites are Hyatt French Quarter and Westin. I think their locations are ideal but their prices reflect their location. They are both clean. I consider any hotel that is in or around the French Quarter to be safer simply because there are usually lots of people around and lots of businesses that are open late. I choose those when staying in New Orleans with my teens girls.

If you want to shop, you would have the French Market (open air market), Canal Place, Jax Brewery Shopping, and Royal St. all within walking distance if you stay on Canal St or in the French Quarter. You would also have the Canal Street and River Front Street Cars. You would be close to the River where the River Boats leave from.

As for free wi fi, I am not sure. We had free wi fi for one person at the Hyatt French Quarter. For what you are looking to do, you really cannot stay in the outskirts because you would spend more on taxis to get you into the French Quarter area than the savings you would gain from staying in the outskirts. Taxis in the area are expensive. We took one this weekend for a few blocks (my mother has a bad back) and were in the taxi for less than 6 minutes and it was $10.

Most hotels in the French Quarter area do not offer free airport shuttle. That has to be booked independently.

Edited by World Gallery

candydane ... you have certainly compiled a wealth of information ... THANK YOU!

You're welcome. Most of the information is gleaned from cruise critic comments so it's good to "share it back". The whole website works good for our cruise roll call too.