Cruise without a Stroller?

Lerin

We have an almost 3 year old who practically never uses a stroller. The exception is when we travel.

However when looking at our upcoming cruise we are thinking of not bringing the stroller for the first time.

We have a carseat with Go Go Babyz wheeled attachment which we use for airports. We're planning to do beach days and bus tours for all the ports.

In the past we've used a stroller around the ship and an Ergo in ports. He won't stay in an Ergo anymore, and we're thinking of letting him walk(or my husband carries on his shoulders) on the ship. If it becomes a big problem, we can always use the carseat/Go Go Babyz

Are we being crazy? Anyone gone stroller-less for a child of this age?

edit to include a photo of the Go Go Babyz for those not familiar. My child really likes it and it's super easy to cart through airports(which is the only place we've used it). He often falls asleep and then we just wheel him to his seat and strap the whole thing in.

cservice.jpg.18ce0111558759f1d0ab27e09d60eca7.jpg

Edited by Lerin

Friends of mine had a child who was a really good walker. When asked why, they said her pushchair (stroller) had been stolen just after her first birthday, and they weren't buying another one. :)

So it can be done. (As long as you're physically capable of carrying him in an emergency, eg. if he's asleep after a long day.)

I would go with just the car seat/Babyz. We took a small umbrella stroller on Allure when DD was nearly 2 1/2. We used it a little the 1st day (1 trip around ship), but it stayed folded in the cabin the rest of the cruise. We were glad we had something in case we needed it, but were glad we didn't bring our bigger stroller. We did not take a car seat as we drove to the port (left in car) and did not do any excursions/anything requiring a vehicle in port.

Our daughter was 2 1/2 on the Allure last March and we definitely got good use out of her umbrella stroller. You'll likely want/need it through the airports if you're flying, and it was a bit of a walk down the hall to our cabin from the elevators. Plus, our umbrella stroller had a little pouch to stuff supplies as we needed. We even used the stroller in port at Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel. We encourage our daughter to use her stroller as much as possible to expedite our trips and save our backs!

I have a newly turned 3 year old and plan on bringing our city mini. I have a mclaren and decided against it due to the uneven street/cobblestones in the ports.

Eta: just a thought but will you have to unassemble the car seat/stroller (forgot the name sorry) or does it fit onto the belt at the security check point?

Edited by dibh1129

I have a newly turned 3 year old and plan on bringing our city mini. I have a mclaren and decided against it due to the uneven street/cobblestones in the ports.

Eta: just a thought but will you have to unassemble the car seat/stroller (forgot the name sorry) or does it fit onto the belt at the security check point?

I see people fly with those types of car seats all the time & there is no more of an issue at security than with any other car seat (the handle retracts/pulls out) or stroller. Any that don't fit through x-Ray are just hand/manually screened which takes a few more minutes, but isn't a major issue. Personally, if DD were younger or we were having another I would definitely get one of those for travel.

I see people fly with those types of car seats all the time & there is no more of an issue at security than with any other car seat (the handle retracts/pulls out) or stroller. Any that don't fit through x-Ray are just hand/manually screened which takes a few more minutes, but isn't a major issue. Personally, if DD were younger or we were having another I would definitely get one of those for travel.

Yes, it is quite simple. We've traveled a lot with it.

They check it by hand and then we just put our child back into it.

We wheel it all the way onto the plane and it takes about 10 seconds to get the wheels off. They store easily in the overhead and then he's already in the carseat for the flight.

We can get the wheels on and off while he sleeps, and on occasion even all the way through security without waking him.

You can push or pull it in the same way you do a suitcase. Our only regret is that we didn't discover it's existence until he was almost a year old.

Below is a photo of how it looks without the carseat attached and the handle only partially retracted. The handle can be adjusted btw. My husband is over 6' and I'm not even 5' and we both find it easy to use. It's maybe an inch thick and weighs maybe half a pound. Stores practically anywhere.

26-4.jpg.d66ee21fb53bb9a100d0a9ea3245fe52.jpg

Our first cruise was when ds2 was 3 yrs and we didn't bring a stroller. Like you, we planned excursions according to what we could handle. He did still like the ergo, so we had a bit more flexibility, but honestly I remember only using it in the airport.

You know your child best ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk