Sapphire Kids Clubs?

MAJPLO

I thought I had originally posted this here but it is on the Family Cruising board so maybe I was mistaken.

We will be cruising soon with 7,5,4 year old kids. Can anyone please share kids club experiences? What did your kids think of the clubs and activities offered on the Sapphire?

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Sapphire for 28 days this past October/November. We had our 10 and 8 year old boys and toddler daughter with us. The boys had a fantastic time in the kids center. The staff were great and the activities fun and varied. (Even for a voyage with 19 sea days!) I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

We have been on the Sapphire Princess with our children twice before (when they were 3 & 5 and again when they were 5 & 7) and we will be sailing on her again in 2 days (kids are now 11 & 13). They have always enjoyed the Princess kids' programs and the variety of activities available. Princess counsellors are good at 'going with the flow'. They will have activities scheduled, but if your child is not interested in the activities, then they have the ability to do something else. If no one/very few kids are interested in the activities, then they will switch to something the kids prefer.

We once sailed Princess (on the Coral) when there were very few kids onboard. They kept the kids' facilities open, and when my children showed up they were allowed to do whatever activity they wanted, and if they couldn't think of anything, the counsellors had a list of activities to suggest. Despite the lack of 'company' they had a great time.

That being said, our DD just turned 13 over Thanksgiving, so this cruise in 2 days will be our first experience with the teen club. I'm going to be very interested to see if they have enough activities to interest my younger teen, who has of yet has no interest in dances or 'boy/girl' activities.

The youth program is well run and the counselors are attentive. The space allocated is fairly small compared to Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean but they also tend to get fewer children onboard. My son has had good and bad experiences but mostly good ones. One year there were very few children and they put the 3-6 year olds in with the older kids (my son was 10) and this was a problem. There was a three year old biting my son and the attitude was that my son (being 10 at the time) should just be a good sport! Well, that ended him wanting to go. However, our previous cruises on Princess were fine. And we are sailing on Sapphire for 25 days this spring- so it certainly hasn't been too upseting.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Are the kids kept in the kids activity centre? Or programs designed to accommodate different areas of the ship?

Do the kids get checked into the kids club with a designated pickup time ?

Edited by dhype55

Are the kids kept in the kids activity centre? Or programs designed to accommodate different areas of the ship?

Do the kids get checked into the kids club with a designated pickup time ?

Younger kids usually stay in the kids' center, except for scheduled meals or occasional ice cream trips. There is usually an outdoor portion to the kids' area. Kids in the youngest age groups must be signed in and signed out.

8-12 year olds can sign themselves in and out if the kids' area, but only if their parents have signed a form giving permission to do so. Once they reach this age, they leave the kids' area more and go to the sports deck, the galley (they make cookies with the chefs), the theatre, etc. you should always have a schedule of activities, so you will know where they should be.

I have a question too, maybe someone can answer, -- we are going in 2.5 weeks, MAJPLO or anyone, i can specifically check something for you when I go?

I wanted to know why is there a pool in the kids center? is it shallow? both my kids had near drownings (like from bottom of pool....not mine), so i'm extremely cautious of it now... Thanks!

I have a question too, maybe someone can answer, -- we are going in 2.5 weeks, MAJPLO or anyone, i can specifically check something for you when I go?

I wanted to know why is there a pool in the kids center? is it shallow? both my kids had near drownings (like from bottom of pool....not mine), so i'm extremely cautious of it now... Thanks!

I'm not kidding when I say it is a glorified wading pool. Like, about the size and depth of something you would buy for $8.00 at Wal-Mart. We never once saw it in use on our 28 day cruise. They just didn't have any activities planned around it and no one went out there.

Teen activities are a different matter. I believe they plan hot tub get togethers, etc., but I've never seen them plan outdoor pool/hot tub activities for those under 13.

Thank you for the offer. We are actually on our way now and will board tomorrow.

That being said, our DD just turned 13 over Thanksgiving, so this cruise in 2 days will be our first experience with the teen club. I'm going to be very interested to see if they have enough activities to interest my younger teen, who has of yet has no interest in dances or 'boy/girl' activities.

This did not sit well with me but doesn't seem to bother a lot of parents. My much younger 13 years old was in the teens club with much older 17+ teens. Not something we would do at home so I was a little uncomfortable. I preferred the 12-14 age grouping on Carnival. The kids put together a cute show at at the end of the cruise but I can't recall much organized activities. It seems the program is not consistent from ship and sailings.

IIRC, kids can only use that pool with parents in attendance. And even though it is just a glorified wading pool, kids still have to be potty trained to use it (no swim diapers).

parents won't be in attendance in the Kids club.. ?? :confused:

yes i know re: no diapers/potty training.

parents won't be in attendance in the Kids club.. ?? :confused:

yes i know re: no diapers/potty training.

Parents aren't usually in attendance for the 3 and up crowd. It's drop and go. Princess allows children under 3 in the Pelicans room if they are under constant parental supervision.

My 2 daughters, 8 and 13, both prefer Princess' programs to Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean. They are both frequent sailers with us and they tell us that Princess has the best program because they are actually organized. They have games, art projects, scavenger hunts, competitions and a lot of variety. My older DD is very much into the teen activities now but still needs direction. She won't just "hang with the boys" and appreciates that it's not a free for all even for her age.

My younger one is a bit shy and has more strong preferences for which activities she will participate in and which she won't because of her quieter personality. She says that even if she doesn't want to do a competition (boys vs girls, etc), there is always a counselor who will just sit with her and maybe a few others and play games or do a project or whatever. She doesn't feel abandoned or pressured to do everything with the group.

Despite DH and I like RCCL ships better (we like the shows and their food better), we are sailing almost exclusively on Princess now when the kids come along because of the kids club.

Sapphire is our fave ship. So sad to see her go to Asia in a few months! Enjoy her while you can.

Katherine

Edited by kath00

My daughter was 5, 7 (that was on the Sapphire to Alaska), 8, 13 and 15 on her Princess cruise (after some cruises on Carnival).

You'll get a day-by-day schedule in your cabin when you first board (depending on what age group each child is in). The best thing is to take your kids the first night so they meet the ones who will be in their grouping).

When my daughter was 13, she met a couple of other girls her age she clicked with. They would hang out together, sometimes with the other teens, sometimes just the three of them.

When she was 15, she had already found one of those girls was going to repeat the same ship, same itinerary, just as she was (they were FB friends). They made plans to meet up and they were joined by another girl and three boys their age. They made their own fun, planning table tennis tournaments, seeing lots of movies on MUTS, checking out the art (we overheard her voice one day when we were getting something at the International Cafe, etc. Sometimes I would run into them at the Horizon while they were eating lunch. Didn't see any inappropriate physical contact going on with this group.

I think kids would want to enjoy their vacation with kids their ages, and not younger siblings for the most part. And there's plenty of opportunity (ports, dinner, seeing shows) where the family can be together.

Parents aren't usually in attendance for the 3 and up crowd. It's drop and go. Princess allows children under 3 in the Pelicans room if they are under constant parental supervision.

yes i meant that as , yes, parents are not in attendance. i know that and thats why the orig post didnt make sense to me. both mine are drop n go age :) -- someone said in the kids club pool, parents do have to watch, which didnt make sense...

thanks for the reports about how other kids liked the kids club, does help.

It's been awhile since we were on the Sapphire Princess with children in the youngest age group, but at that time, they told us that they do NOT take the kids out to the splash pool. It is for parents to come *with* their children and use. Since it is a separated area, it does not interfere with the rest of the children's activities. They would NOT let children use it without parent supervision.

Most of the time, it went unused. My kids used it once, with me there. That might be the only time I have seen it used.

It's been awhile since we were on the Sapphire Princess with children in the youngest age group, but at that time, they told us that they do NOT take the kids out to the splash pool. It is for parents to come *with* their children and use. Since it is a separated area, it does not interfere with the rest of the children's activities. They would NOT let children use it without parent supervision.

Most of the time, it went unused. My kids used it once, with me there. That might be the only time I have seen it used.

oh thank you. im glad they dont take them.

We are back and thought the kids club was great. Our kids are 5 and 7 and we were also traveling with a four year old family member. All of them loved the club. All three of them were able to be together in the 3-7 age group. While my 7 year old was a little bored sometimes he did enjoy the video games, movies, and some of the art projects. I was impressed with the staff who knew and remembered the kids' names immediately, took an interest in each child's individuality, and seemed to genuinely love their job. I was also impressed with the "stuff" our kids left the club with. Every time they went they left with something. Either an art project or some kind of souvenier. It was, hands down, the best unfamiliar/new setting daycare/activity center experience our family has had. Except for the younger cousin beating up on the older cousins. But that seems to be a family dynamic that happens anywhere the three of them are together. :)

• 1 month later...
My 2 daughters, 8 and 13, both prefer Princess' programs to Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean. They are both frequent sailers with us and they tell us that Princess has the best program because they are actually organized. They have games, art projects, scavenger hunts, competitions and a lot of variety. My older DD is very much into the teen activities now but still needs direction. She won't just "hang with the boys" and appreciates that it's not a free for all even for her age.

My younger one is a bit shy and has more strong preferences for which activities she will participate in and which she won't because of her quieter personality. She says that even if she doesn't want to do a competition (boys vs girls, etc), there is always a counselor who will just sit with her and maybe a few others and play games or do a project or whatever. She doesn't feel abandoned or pressured to do everything with the group.

Despite DH and I like RCCL ships better (we like the shows and their food better), we are sailing almost exclusively on Princess now when the kids come along because of the kids club.

Sapphire is our fave ship. So sad to see her go to Asia in a few months! Enjoy her while you can.

Katherine

Your 2 year old was not allowed in the club-right. Just wondering. We have 3 year old twins and we are sailing the sapphire in 2 weeks. They are potty trained but still have accidents. I just wondered what your experience was in the younger category- but I think Kids club starts at 3 year old. I am a newbie to Princess so any info would be appreciated. I am soooo concerned that the club will not allow them in. And now they are sick (colds) So I won't be able to solidify outside potty habits in their preschool.

Why is the Sapphire your fav ship? Does she do basically the same itineraries every year?

Edited by MoyCoy

Thanks for the update, OP, glad to hear your kids had a good time! My boys really liked the staff of the Sapphire and they had a great time.

Another poster asked about 2 year olds- 2 year olds are allowed to play in the kids center of any Princess ship provided a parent is supervising them at all times. (This goes for any child under 3) Drop off begins at age 3.

Your 2 year old was not allowed in the club-right. Just wondering. We have 3 year old twins and we are sailing the sapphire in 2 weeks. They are potty trained but still have accidents. I just wondered what your experience was in the younger category- but I think Kids club starts at 3 year old. I am a newbie to Princess so any info would be appreciated. I am soooo concerned that the club will not allow them in. And now they are sick (colds) So I won't be able to solidify outside potty habits in their preschool.

My son was in the Sapphire Princess kids' club at age 3 years, 2 weeks. He was potty trained, but it was a relatively recent thing, so i was nervous. He was not night trained. The key is that your child has to be able to stay dry for 3 hours at a time. The club is open 9 am to noon, 2 pm to 5 pm, and 7 pm to 10 pm. If your child can do the 3 hour stretch, they are good.

Since I was worried, I regulated my son's liquids before he went to the club, then took him to the bathroom immediately before dropping him off. Also, on the first day we were on the ship, when they had 'open house', I took him into the kids' area and showed him the bathrooms and explained that he was supposed to use them.

It was a 7 day cruise, and during all that time he only had 1 accident. Apparently he was in the bathroom, pants pulled down, trying to sit on the toilet, but it was too high for him and he couldn't get up. They paged me to come pick him up, and said that he should have requested a step stool. I didn't even know they had them! But I told my son about it. No more accidents after that, and they let him back in, no questions.

FWIW, we went on a RCCL cruise 5 months later, and he had zero accidents on that cruise (although he didn't night train until age 5).