epic and the hidden charges and lack of space

[quote name='Single Cruiser']The problem is that on the UK cruise lines the grats are included in the price and so never exposed as extras. If the cruise price had been higher and included the DSC then it wouldn't have been an issue.

That's why I always include my DSC in my cruise as prepayment. I wish NCL UK would just include DSC in cruise price..

[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]Again, exactly what Craig says! We British are not all bad tippers, honest! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[url=http://www.smileyvault.com/][img]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif[/img][/url] Edited by meltingmoments

[quote name='triptolemus']Love me some Queen's English![/QUOTE]

One would think you are a little let down -:)

I am with Rollingstone43 on this. The staff work so hard. On my first cruise I commented that if you could bottle their customer service the world would be a much better, and humbler place! My view is the same.

I am so sorry the OP was disappointed. I think more research would have set expectations better. I am a huge fan of Cruise Critic as it is such a good place to find out really useful information......

The British tipping culture is odd ... But personally I don't understand how anyone could be upset for paying OBG that rewards all those lovely people!!!

Hoping to book The Epic over the next few days - for February -our third trip - I guess that says it all!!!

Oh and a very Happy New Year from across the pond!! :-)

[quote name='Juliayn']Hardly. Just curious if the pool area was slammed every single day per your original post.[/QUOTE]

Not sure as we spent maximum time in the three destinations.
But sure was busy as the ship was full.
My previous cruise was on the RCL mariner of the seas and it was so much more spacious or it certainly felt like it.

Let's be clear the OP's behaviour is nothing to do with British "culture ". You read the info, you understand what's expected on the cruise and you behave accordingly.......that's what I did!

Using British behaviours is a cop-out. Please don't hide behind that OP. If you're tight, you're tight. Go find somewhere else to moan.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='KweezyCruiser']Actually, it's not clear that he did. All he says us, "It is best if you wish to hand out your hard earned money, you give to the people you want." Consistent with his anti-tipping views, I suspect a lot of hard-working people did not get tipped.[/QUOTE]

NCL pay their wages not me:mad:

[quote name='Holidaymanbristol']
My previous cruise was on the RCL mariner of the seas and it was so much more spacious or it certainly felt like it.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Didn't realize Royal had no service charge. Interesting ![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Single Cruiser']The problem is that on the UK cruise lines the grats are included in the price and so never exposed as extras. If the cruise price had been higher and included the DSC then it wouldn't have been an issue.

That's why I always include my DSC in my cruise as prepayment. Royal Caribbean did a clever thing when Indy was moved to UK as they changed drinks prices from $x + grats to the all-inclusive price. I wish NCL UK would just include DSC in cruise price..

As for deck space etc.. Again. If you look on the upper decks there are always loungers, just ppl feel they have to be by the pool! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

We spent much of our time in the quiet area,only for load mouthed people to be shouting to each other when talking :mad:

[quote name='Holidaymanbristol']NCL pay their wages not me:mad:[/QUOTE]

I guess the question is:

Were you aware that the DSC forms part of the basic wage paid to staff. And that the DSC is only given if the staff meet certain targets, performance or otherwise. Thus NCL pay less when DSCs are not paid and thus the crew members receive less?

Saying all Brits are tight and don't tip is offensive it's like saying all Americans who travel in the uk are loud mouth jerks true of some but by no means the majority
Tipping I don't do when in in the uk when I'm in USA or on a cruise I tip
To me the op sounds like he is just tight and that's not just a Brit thing I have been at the customer service desk when others beside Brits are trying to get the DSC removed

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

[quote name='Holidaymanbristol']You tip your choice,my choice if i tip,simple really:D[/QUOTE]

But you did not just choose not to tip. You made a specific decision to remove tips. You are right - your choice - but I really don't know how you could make that decision after all the wonderful service you must have had....

In the words of one of the most famous Brits "thou doth protest too much" ...

Enough said!

[quote name='Sparky38']But you did not just choose not to tip. You made a specific decision to remove tips. You are right - your choice - but I really don't know how you could make that decision after all the wonderful service you must have had....

In the words of one of the most famous Brits "thou doth protest too much" ...

Enough said![/QUOTE]

Ha! I love using that quote LOL

[quote name='philip_eunice1']Saying all Brits are tight and don't tip is offensive it's like saying all Americans who travel in the uk are loud mouth jerks true of some but by no means the majority
Tipping I don't do when in in the uk when I'm in USA or on a cruise I tip
To me the op sounds like he is just tight and that's not just a Brit thing I have been at the customer service desk when others beside Brits are trying to get the DSC removed

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL][/QUOTE]

Ahhh £10.000 pounds on a holiday for 4 staying in miami for 5 days and the cruise down the east caribb don't be silly.
I spend where i want and give to who i want.
I am not dictated to and told where to spend my money. Edited by Holidaymanbristol

[quote name='SissasMomE']I think it's less likely to be removed being it's labeled as a tip rather than a service charge.[/QUOTE]

I think it's unique to NCL how they badge service charge versus gratuity.

As in DSC - forms part of wage for behind scenes crew - cooks, engineering, waiters, and cabin stewards

Gratuities - 15% auto for bar staff, spa etc... any you wish to pay in cash or on receipts in speciality restaurant/bars etc..

[quote name='Rollingstone43']If you sleep so well, then I just wish you'd give us all a break and go to sleep now!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

Ahh so who is right, and who is wrong, as the americans say we live in freedom and are able to choose what we do.

You are no less, and i am no more we just have different views.