Where to stay...Ft. Laud, South Beach, Miami

hollyc23

Okay, just searching for some advise from you season cruisers, those who frequent this area, or those who live in this area. We are flying into FLL because the air is much cheaper, but our ship leaves from Miami. There are four of us...two couples, all who enjoy nightlife, good food, and a clean place to lay our heads, but do not want to spend a fortune before we spend a fortune on our cruise:D I am in charge of researching our one night pre-cruise hotel and would like some opinions on a good place to stay within walking distance to restaurants and nightlife (doesn't have to be a huge club, but some place fun;) ). Would like to be in an area that has interesting things going as none of us have never been to this area. However, we do not want to spend and arm and a leg. Hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, just searching for some advise from you season cruisers, those who frequent this area, or those who live in this area. We are flying into FLL because the air is much cheaper, but our ship leaves from Miami. There are four of us...two couples, all who enjoy nightlife, good food, and a clean place to lay our heads, but do not want to spend a fortune before we spend a fortune on our cruise:D I am in charge of researching our one night pre-cruise hotel and would like some opinions on a good place to stay within walking distance to restaurants and nightlife (doesn't have to be a huge club, but some place fun;) ). Would like to be in an area that has interesting things going as none of us have never been to this area. However, we do not want to spend and arm and a leg. Hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last year we too flew into FL..but cruised out of Miami.. our flight ended up getting in the night before.. after being very delayed. We arrived in FTLAUD. at 3am..thank goodness we booked the Hampton Inn Airport NORTH.. it had a 24 hr. shuttle service.. When we got in we called them before we picked up our luggage and the guy was there 5 minutes after we got out.

Now this is a great place to stay if you dont care about being near whats happening.. We just booked it again this year.. for $107....but this year we leave from FT Lauderdale.. and they have a shuttle that starts running at 10:30 am.. because the PORT in FT Laud.. doesnt open till then with all the new security rules..

I just sent you an e-mail....I'll ask my question here, also. How did you get from FLL to the Port of Miami? Private car service, cab, other? How long did it take to get back to FLL A/P after the cruise? That's my big concern - getting back to FLL for a return flight.

Thanks for any help you can give us re transportation services from FLL to Port of Miami.

I can not brag enough about the Blue Moon Hotel in S. Beach Miami. We stayed there last year and also flew into FLL due to cheaper flights. Southwest Airlines rocks.

Blue Moon was close to everything and had a great pool albeit small about 15 x 8. If you find the right button on the wall it becomes a "spa" pool with massaging jets. The hotel is walking distance from Ocean Drive and the beach. You can take the electric trolley over to Lincoln road which has great restaurants, shops and fantastic "Beautiful People" watching. I think all the models both male and female must hang out there.

From FLL we used Tri County shuttle and it was a quick drive to Miami with only 2 other stops besides us. I think if was around $14 per person. They are right outside baggage claim with the red and white signs.

hollyc23 - If you want clubs or "nightlife" then forget Fort Lauderdale or downtown Miami and stay in South Beach, particularly if you've never been down here before. It's quite unique and someplace I think you would enjoy a lot!

There are many MANY hotels in South Beach, the nicer ones are quite expensive though, and many of the less expensive ones leave a lot to be desired. There are some nice places that won't cost you a fortune though. The restaurants and clubs are generally between 5th & 15th Streets on Ocean & Washington Avenues.

An inexpensive hotel I'm familiar with is the Marriott Courtyard... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MIACB

And another very inexpensive one that I haven't been in, but has been highly recommended by many budget minded people on here is the Clay Hotel... http://www.clayhotel.com/

pooh1bear - To get from FLL to Port of Miami try Tri-County Transportation, their shared vans are quite inexpensive... http://www.floridalimo.com/

Or Larry's Limo... http://larryslimo.com/

Both of those are reputable, reliable local companies. A taxi would be quite expensive and not very pleasant for that distance.

It's about a 30-45 minute drive from the Port of Miami to FLL.

I just sent you an e-mail....I'll ask my question here, also. How did you get from FLL to the Port of Miami? Private car service, cab, other? How long did it take to get back to FLL A/P after the cruise? That's my big concern - getting back to FLL for a return flight.

Thanks for any help you can give us re transportation services from FLL to Port of Miami.

Hi..Pooh..

We use a private driver. "Uncle Joe".. he is from boca...but he does not drive a van.. there are three of us.. and luggage and it works fine.. We use him every year.

But if you are 4 or more.. I agree with the Van Shuttle...

To get to FLL after the cruise your best bet is to WALK off the ship with your own luggage.. if possible.. Thats the only guarantee you will get off and on a shuttle when you need to.

So If you luggage is managable don't put it outside the night before!!

Why does it make a difference whether or not you walk off the cruise with your luggage??

Hi........... Pooh.. is concerned with getting from Miami back to Ft Lauderdale for her flight.

We didn't get called last year until almost 10:30.. so if anyone booked a tight flight connection it would be hard to make it.. especially if it was not in Miami.. but in Ft. Lauderdale.

If you don't put your bags out but are willing to carry them off you can leave first thing in the morning.. straight out the door.. Instead of having to go to the cattle call area to try to locate your bags.. and waiting.. impatiently for them to call your deck.. :)

We didn't mind waiting because we had a leisurly breakfast and we were staying another week in Florida.

Or if you have an early flight, and don't want to carry your own bags off, you can go to the Purser's office and get early disembarkation tags. If you're in the first or 2nd group you are normally off the ship by 7:30am or 8am unless there are Customs & Immigration delays.

...but do not want to spend a fortune before we spend a fortune on our cruise

I just booked the Greenview Hotel in Miami for $80 a night. Found it on Hotels.com and it has GREAT reviews. It's a small hotel in the Art Deco district, and pics make it out to be minimalist trendy. The all-white kinda thing. 2 blocks from the beach and a few blocks from South Beach, so it sounds like you can be in or out of the action as much as you want. Free continential breakfast as well.

I figured, why spend $100+ for a Holiday Inn type place when I can get something that I would never be able to experience other than down there...even if it is just for 1 night. And it's nice to start the vacay a night earlier. Hope this helps out a bit. :)

Archived