Hotels in rome

lilghallinsf

We will be in rome in May of this year following a 16 day transatlantic. Both in our 40's and live in SF. Any recommendations for a hotel and things to do?

Aaah , Rome. One of my favorite cities. I spent a week at the Hotel Colonna Palace and really enjoyed my stay there. It is centrally located in Rome and within walking distance of practically everything. Of course, after a day of sightseeing, I would take the subway back. There is so much to see in Rome and Vatican City. Stay long enough to go to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. There's the Forum, Coloseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Palazzo Navoana, etc. And the food is wonderful. Enjoy your time there.

Edited by topguy

We spent a week in Rome after a cruise, and there are a few gay stops. Next to the Coliseum, there are several small bars on a street about a five minute walk from the main entrance. Very friendly area and a great place to grab a beer and people watch, or be watched. By the way, if you get your tickets at the Forum, you can bypass the lines at the coliseum and walk right in.

If the weather is nice, Il Buco, the gay nude beach, is an easy trip out of Rome. And all covered with a simple transit ticket. Subway, to train, to bus. There are directions on the web. Beautiful beach.

There are a few larger clubs spaced around Rome, and worth checking out.

As for hotels, we stayed at IQ. New property, small but comfortable rooms, clean and modern, with breakfast included. Top floor patio, which is great to relax on. The whole place runs by vending machines, including one at the patio with wine, beer and plastic glasses. It was a unique experience. We greatly appreciated the on site washer and dryer.

Finally, be prepared to come home and never feel as happy with any Italian restaurant. I have yet to find any that compared to my food there. But it does give a reason to go back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We stay at the Victoria Roma.

We like it is next to the Via Veneto and near the Bourghese Gardens. We also like their breakfast as we must have a hotel with a breakfast buffet as coffee is NECESSARY!

About two blocks away there is a shuttle bus for 1 euro that goes to the Piazza Verona which is a great place to eat and see things.

One caveat, as much as we like Rome it operates on Italian time, much like Latin America, as you can't be rushed.

There are so many must sees you will never see them all. Get a good guide book such as DK Eyewitness Travel and pick and chose.

vr%20404.jpg?gl=US

So many sights!!!!!!

My partner and I stayed at the St Regis Rome prior to out Azamara cruise last September. The hotel is very well located... 15 min walk to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Excellent service and some fun activities like a daily champagne sabering. The concierge arranged transportation to Civitavecchia for us in the house Mercedes.

While in Rome we used Context Travel for some great food and wine personalized tours, as well as the Coliseum and Palatine Hill.

We stay at the Hotel Genio in Rome. Not up to the St Regis standard :D but it is quite comfortable and we love the location just at the north end of Piazza Navona and it has quite a nice breakfast; the view of St Peters from the roof deck isn't bad. Also, one of our favorite restaurants is right around the corner, by the name of Old Bear, truly wonderful. (It depends what you like, but we like the small out of the way places.)

We have been to Rome pre-cruise 2 times.

Stayed once the the Dei Mellini-good location, walked to the Vatican and the Trevi Fountain. Good Breakfast included.

The last time was at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, which was fantastic. A little out of the way, but the hotel provided complementary shuttles into the city center. The breakfast was probably the best we've ever experienced in a hotel. Fab in every way.

One of the best ways we've learned to see a new city is to try the HOHO bus. That gets you where you need to be, even if you didn't know it. Convenient, reasonable and enlightening.

A week should about do it for all the touristy stuff. We spent 6 full days over 2 trips and have decided that we are finished exploring Rome. (That and the long drive into the port city).

Enjoy!!

tnt

• 2 weeks later...