Bonine/meclizine

newbie cruzer

I was looking at Drugstore.com to order Bonine. They also had a generic meclizine (25 mg - same as Bonine, as well as a 12.5 mg). It's much cheaper...has anyone used it? Is it just the same?

Also, I have a 9 year old son; the pkg. says for 12 and older. Has anyone had their child take this? (He's big for his age, though...around 90 pounds).

Also, could someone please give advise about how much they took, when, etc for a "maintenance" dosage? We're on a Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas, on the 10th deck and I know that the higher the deck, the more you feel the movement.

Thanks!

They are exactly the same, just that Bonine is a brand and meclizine is generic. Do NOT give any medication to a child under 12 without first discussing with his primary care provider, particularly an antihistamine such as this because children may have antagonistic reactions, which is to say that drugs that are supposed to sedate may agitate them, particularly if they are on any other meds. As for maintenance dose for adult, take according to package directions, which is every four hours, with whatever the daily maximum number of doses is per the pharmaceutical company. It works quite well, I take it for my Meniere's disease, but as a health care professional, I have to caution that no one--adults included--should take any medication either prescription or OTC without discussing it first with their physician or a clinical pharmacist, in order to minimize adverse reactions.

Last year we were on the Serenade.....what a great ship...she's beautiful.....and the cruise is wonderful. My in-laws went with us last year and my MIL always gets seasick. This time I convinced her to try Bonine, it worked wonders. She didn't get sick once. She took 1 pill everyday, because they are good for 24 hours. I hope you have a good time and get to see Hubbard Glacier. We missed it last year, the weather was too bad, the seas were rough and the bay where Hubbard Glacier is ended up being closed. Our cruise was the last cruise of the season and we knew there was a chance of bad weather...but we didn't care we had a great time and the captain ended up substituting Tracy Arm for us missing Hubbard Glacier.

I always got sea sick until I tried Bonine. My doctor told me to take one the night before the cruise and then one a day, and it works great. I am over 60 and also on meds for blood pressure etc no problem for me. I definitely would talk to your doctor before giving it to your son.

Archived