Getting to Tulum?

Gabrielle R.

I have been to Cozumel a number of times, and each time I look at a Tulum excrusion, but never go. I see the ship's excursions, but always wonder is there some other way to get there? So, anyone out there have an answer? Thanks! Gabrielle:rolleyes:

Here is a copy of a post I made a couple of days ago to another member. Hope it helps...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariahJ

How did you work out the transportation and how much did it cost? How long does it take to get to Tulum? Can this be done in less than 4 hours including transportation? Is the Tulum tour worth it?

Figure on 30 minutes to get off the ship and into a taxi to the fiscal pier - price approx. $24 round trip for the 10-15 minute trip to the pier (price per taxi up to 4 people). Then the ferry ticket to the mainland is now $22 round trip per person. And they do not run every hour so I hope you don´t have a long wait. The trip across is approx. 35-45 minutes. Then you can either take a bus or a taxi to Tulum. A bus is much cheaper ($16 per person versus $70-$90 per taxi round trip). Bad thing about the bus is that the schedule back to Playa del Carmen isn´t very good...not very many. Allow approx. 55 minutes one way. To get the full effect of the ruins, get a guide. Entry fee is approx. $4 per person and guide service is about $30 for a small group. Plan on 2 hours to "do" the ruins. In my opinion, Tulum is a wonderful place. But the crowds and sweltering heat can sometimes outweigh the beauty of the water and the ruins.

Solita

Tom- Are there any taxis that hold 6 people rather than 4? Going on our own looks MUCH cheaper for the 6 of us, but only if we could all get in the same taxi.

Thanks so much for the info!

:-) Amy

The problem is there aren´t too many in Playa to take you to Tulum. And certainly not many (if any at all) waiting to take you back to Playa afterwards. I checked the rates and was quoted double taxi rate ... $150-$200 US round trip. You can do the ruins on your own but figuring everything in together, it isn´t much cheaper and certainly eases your piece of mind booking the tour due to the transportation hassles on your own!

Well, if you like Tulum this time, you can always plan an extended trip here and then do it on your own a second time! You make a good point about the ferry schedules. Want to share a story: 2 crew members on a Carnival ship went to Playa a week ago Saturday. They did not know that the ferries were going to stop running Saturday afternoon in prep for the hurricane. They got stuck over there as illegal aliens with no passports. Feds charged them with a $1,000 US fine each. Carnival had to pay, the crew members lost pay each day, had to pay for their flight to Miami and their hotel room before catching up to their boat.

Archived