What to do in San Juan AFTER cruise? Flight doesn't depart till 5:30

Hi!

DH, DD (11) and I will be arriving back from Serenade of Seas on a.m. of March 25th, and our flight doesn't depart until 5:30 pm! We can't stand-by for earlier flight, as it's about the time we disembark. Guesstimating that we'll be off ship by 10:30, what does one suggest we do other than hanging out at SJU? I'd prefer not to rent a car, but am wondering if close-by hotels offer day rates, or if there are any 'tours,' etc?

Thanks for any and all info.

Priscilla

I just got back from the AOS this morning. We disembarked the ship in San Juan yesterday at about 10:00 AM and had the same dilemma because our flight was at 4:20 PM. There are plenty of tour vendors waiting on you as you leave the ship. We were offered several and took one for $20.00 per person. It was a 20 person air-conditioned van and they took us to El Morro for 45 minutes, shopping in old San Juan for about an hour, and then lunch near the airport. We were then dropped at the departure curb at the airport. They kept the luggage in the van the whole time and unloaded it at the airport for us. It was an interesting tour that not only took care of our luggage problem but also killed about 4 hours. Good luck.

I had the same dilemma a few weeks back when we sailed on the Adventure of the Seas - we had an 8:30 pm flight back to NYC and all this time to kill. My fiance and I had always wanted to see the El Yunque Rainforest, so this was the perfect time to do so. We booked the tour through RCCL at $30pp and it worked out GREAT. Not only did we get off the ship earlier (otherwise, with our late flight, we would have been the last group designated to disembark) and avoid the long luggage lines, we were able to take a leisurely, air conditioned ride and tour through the San Juan area, through Isla Verde, and see some off-the-beaten track sights (including gorgeous beaches) around the El Yunque area. Our tour guide was great - we had a bathroom and souvenir stop, and he even bought all of us some local Puerto Rican bananas to try! The rainforest was beautiful and an amazing sight to see. We stopped by the waterfalls, a natural pool, an easy walking path, and an observation tower. Our tour guide also showed us some of the local flora. We all opted not to stop for lunch, so our trip ended up at the airport, where our luggage was already waiting for us. And we even managed to catch an earlier flight home. What I liked about this excursion was that I really felt we got to see more of Puerto Rico, and at an hour away, with steep mountain roads, it's not all that easy to reach on your own.

Hi!

DH, DD (11) and I will be arriving back from Serenade of Seas on a.m. of March 25th, and our flight doesn't depart until 5:30 pm! We can't stand-by for earlier flight, as it's about the time we disembark. Guesstimating that we'll be off ship by 10:30, what does one suggest we do other than hanging out at SJU? I'd prefer not to rent a car, but am wondering if close-by hotels offer day rates, or if there are any 'tours,' etc?

Thanks for any and all info.

Priscilla

We did the exact same thing Mariposas had done. What a FABULOUS tour this was and we'd do it again. As she said, your luggage is put into a large closed in truck and waiting on you outside the airport entrance (being guarded) when your tour is over. (you do have to take walk your luggage at disembarkation point to the truck though). Lots to see and what beauty your eyes will capture. WELL WORTH IT!!!.. ;) and the price is right.

Enjoy!...better than waiting in an airport.

Archived