Waterspouts common near Grand Cayman?

tripman

Two years ago, we were on a W. Caribbean cruise that stoppend in Grand Cayman. Around 4pm, our ship headed west towards Mexico. At one point, I looked outside and to my surprise, I saw a waterspout. I thought it was just so cool, I have never seen a tornado before.

2 weeks ago, we were on another western caribbean cruise that stopped in Grand Cayman. At the end of the day, we were again to head west towards Mexico. I joked with my wife, "Maybe we'll see another waterspout."

Less than 10 miles or so off the western coast of Grand Cayman...guess what I saw....I couldnt' believe it. Almost the exact same spot, same time of day...and even off the same side of the ship, another waterspout.

So my question is, is this a common thing? Or is it just an amzing coincidence?

Thanks

How big of a thing are you talking about? Something truly tornado sized (1000+ feet tall) or something more like a dust devil (more like 50 feet tall)? And was there a storm of some kind with it?

In short, yes, they are very common, particularly offshore of the western tip. The "Cayman Cloud" is an almost daily occurrence in the summer, produced as warm moist air rises along the length of the island, driven by the predominantly easterly winds. The moisture condenses to form a long, narrow cloud which moves west. Eventually the cloud becomes dense enough to produce thunderstorms, frequently accompanied by waterspouts once over water. The cloud usually goes over George Town, but can be to the south or north, depending on the wind direction.

Susky, if they are fully formed, they reach all the way from the cloud base, perhaps 1500 feet to the water. Frequently they are just pointed protrusions from the cloud that never form properly, and they are often several at the same time, in various degrees of formation.

Archived